Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a portable oven, Casa2g110

Hello,
    I am brand new to this site. I built a Scott oven back in 2003 and it is great! Now I am about to build a portable w/the 110 and I would like some feed back on the things to watch out for....a friend of mine is a trailer maker and we have gotten together and made our plans. If anyone has comments, it would be much appreciated.

Re: Making a portable oven, Casa2g110

Hi td;

sounds like a fun project. It would be easier to comment if you could provide a bit more detail regarding what you are planning to do with the oven and the trailer. There are a lot of option but the main things to be concerned with are ensuring the trailer has the correct suspension to make sure it doesn't shake the oven apart, though teaming up with a trailer maker should ensure that side is covered. The other side is to ensure the oven is solid enough to withstand the vibrations and bumps from the trailer. There are a couple of threads here with photos showing the additional support and banding that others have employed.
    Also, posting any picture or sketches you have would help us understand what you are planning.

Comment

Muscats,
      Thanks for the response! and double thanks for the willingness to help me!!!
      My daughter and I work with artisan breads and make sourdough pizzas...Grace also holds workshops and teaches baking and through these classes people are fired up about brick ovens and the breads they produce. We have been trying to figure out the best way to meet that need and also make pizzas at the Deli we work at...solution: a portable oven. We could move it from the classes to the Deli or a Farmers Market for that matter! We don't mind showing off our big Scott oven, but this way we can have classes on the oven itself, at the classroom.
      The construction of the trailer begins with a tandem torsion axles w/a load rating of 7,000 lbs.. The oven frame will be made from 2"x2" square tubing (should they have gussets?). If you are up to it I can send a cad drawings I have made. Overall size of trailer is 5.5'x 8'. 5.5'x 6' is just for the oven and 2 feet in front for wood storage.
      Again...many thanks,
      Terry

Comment

Terry;

Yes, please post your CAD drawings, I am not an engineer but others here have experience in that field and they may be able to provide advice. Is the 2" tubing framing the base of the oven? and do you plan to mount the oven to the trailer ridgidly?

Regarding the planned use for the oven, if you plan to use it for a lot of bread making i.e. multiple batches of bread, then you may want to consider how much thermal mass you have in the oven, the problem here is that thermal mass usually means more weight and is counter productive to mounting it on a trailer and being portable. Though if the bread making in the portable oven is only for lessons then you may not need the oven to remain hot for long periods.

One thing you may want to consider with the trailer is ensuring you have the required plumbing etc to meet any health regulations in your area. There have been a few discussion on this forum about the different requirements in different areas in the US, e.g. requirement for multiple sinks. This depends on the intended use espesically if you are selling food from the oven. I am in Australia and to set up a trailor in my area I would need hot and cold running water and a method to store the waste water for later disposal.

Paul

Comment

check with your local health board for what is required to run a portable oven.
          2" tubes may be alittle light, I would go 4" w/ gussets. maybe use diesel engine mounts
          at the trailer frame, like this.
          [URL="check with your local health board for what is required to run a portable oven. 2" tubes may be alittle light, I would go 4" w/ gussets. maybe use diesel engine mounts at the trailer frame, like this. http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/3119/nm/Volvo+240+260+Diesel+Engine+Mount+1980-1985+%28MTC%29[/URL] let know what you think, FR
          Last edited by factoryrat; 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Here are the drawings for the trailer (if I can do this right).
            Attached Files

Comment

Muscats,
              You mentioned about baking bread, I believe we would only do one load per class. The 1st oven I built I had 8" of heat mass (4.5" firebrick + 3.5" of concrete + 3" of vermiculite & portland mix for insulation) for the hearth- 8" on the dome with loose vermiculite.
              This will have 5.5" of heat mass and 3" of vermiculite mix for hearth and 4" of heat mass + that 3"ceramic blanket and 2" of vermiculite mix w/a stucco finish.
              Seems like I should expect a bit less from the portable oven...you think I could pull off 2 loads of bread?
              Terry

Comment

Terry;

I was thinking you may have been planning all day classes with multiple loads, two should not be a problem. Have you thought about including something to measure the temperature of the oven? you would probably get away with a door thermometer, which will give you the air temp in the oven, though a couple of thermocouples in the dome may be useful to help determine the amount of stored heat in the oven mass, that way you can be sure you have sufficient stored heat to complete the two loads.

Re the trailer, I would bow to advice from others with more experience, however, I would err on the side of strength and definatley include the gussets, by the look of the plan they are intended to stop the trailer collapsing through the pressure imposed by the weight of the oven and moment while excellerating and stopping.
                One issue to keep in mind is that the oven will tend to make the trailer top heavy. So the hiegher the sides the more this will become an issue.

Comment

The oven is 24" above the trailer. I've seen some higher and some lower, looks like the lower the better! Thanks for your input.
                  Terry

Comment

read here

etrailer.com | Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions

Comment

and here

http://http://auto.howstuffworks.com...gue-weight.htm

Comment

here
                        Utility Trailer Axle Kits

Comment

this is similar to what we use for diesel engine mounts and also their transmissions on large
                          excavators.
                          Bolt Mounts – Ring and Bushing Type

Comment

as far as height you dont want to be bent over all the time whilst baking, having a dual axle trailer will help with your loads vs the center of gravity,sway pitch and yaw.

Comment

That's a beautiful set up factory rat. I like the the way you;ve done the flue. I made mine with a removable flue so it wouldn't sway around during travel.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X