enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enclosure

can i enclose my casa 100 in a gable style using standard brick?

Absolutely. Brick looks great. Just remember that you need to have enough bottom slab apron to support the brick, unless you are just building the part above the hearth slab with brick.

You can build your enclosure with anything that's not combustable.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

saving space with a brick face

if space is a consideration when planning on a brick face for the oven; there is a way to help minimize the bulk of a full brick. Many companies make a thin brick. its not a fake brick made of vinyl but a true brick thats only about a 1/2 inch thick. when the clay is formed its sliced to the thickness and fired as normal.there are even corners. i'm not sure about the price as compared to a full brick but it surely must be less expensive. i'm looking into this to cover my block stand. check out www.glengerybrick.com

Comment

Nice idea

That sounds really good. You get a real brick look, with a real mortar joint, but not the width. Are you facing a metal stud and concrete board enclosure with the cut brick?
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

This thin brick is what I used on my enclosure...

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

brick covered block stand

although i am still in the planning stages..(i hope to have the pad poured..the block stand up and the hearth poured before the snow flies here in Pennsylvania).. my wife and i have discussed a finished look..the block stand will be covered with the thin brick. Mainly for the look but also for a small space savings..dollar savings..and ease of installation. the dome will be framed around and my heart is set on tile for the oven enclosure. Drake..my compliments on the look of your oven and the thin brick. an excellent job and one to be proud of. i do have a quick question tho..in the pic with the corners in place i notice that there is no mortar in the joints. are they just set into mortar and held in place until adhered then grouted like a tile would be

Comment

Originally posted by vincent
              in the pic with the corners in place i notice that there is no mortar in the joints. are they just set into mortar and held in place until adhered then grouted like a tile would be
              That is exactly right. It was much more like tile application than brick laying...You could even use tile spacers I think. One of the nice things about thin brick is that it is self supporting, you don't need a brick ledge for the brick to rest on...

Drake
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thin Brick

Drake,

Nice job; looks mighty fine. I notice you used cultured stone on the base, as well. I've laid tons of it, and it works well, long as you mix your mortar fairly loose. It's stuck on, held for about 15 seconds, then on to the next. The pointing mortar is added later.

Well done.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

just wondering

since the procedure is so similar to a tile installation: i wonder if a latex modified thinset mortar would be more adventageous than a common mortar for laying brick and block. i've really never done brick and block work but have installed a great deal of tile. once the thinset is spread with a trowel and the tile pressed into place the adhesion is quick and strong....plus the thinset is forgiving to a small amount of movement which may be a plus in outside weather conditions. its just a thought
                  vincent

Comment

and btw

just in case anyone plans on using a durock to enclose the oven..its almost inevitable that there will be seams..if you use a mesh tape over the seam and spread a thin layer of mortar to bed it the joint becomes very strong..its common practice to do this when tiling a tub surround

Comment

Working...
                    X