Looking for Information on Superior Clay Corporation Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Information on Superior Clay Corporation Ovens

I recently learned about Superior Clay Corporation ovens. I'm wondering if anyone has an oven from this manufacturer, or know someone that has an oven. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for Information on Superior Clay Corporation Ovens

Since those would be ovens from a competitor of the host of this site, I doubt you will get much response.

Comment

Plus, from what I remember, they are really small. I say--go FB!!

Comment

You can get Rumford fireplace from them.

Comment

Superior Clay is a good company, as mentioned above, they make the throats for the rumford fireplaces. There was a time when their biggest oven was 24 inches, which is not good for much more than cupcakes, but I now see from their site that they make a thirty six inch model. When I looked at them they did not provide value for money compared to the FB products, but that may have changed as well. Unlike some manufacturers you can at least be assured that a superior clay model will be made from real fired refractory clay, not some concrete junk.

I'd buy from Forno Bravo if I were buying a modular oven, if for no other reason that it's their primary business, not some sideline.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
            Superior Clay is a good company, as mentioned above, they make the throats for the rumford fireplaces. There was a time when their biggest oven was 24 inches, which is not good for much more than cupcakes, but I now see from their site that they make a thirty six inch model. When I looked at them they did not provide value for money compared to the FB products, but that may have changed as well. Unlike some manufacturers you can at least be assured that a superior clay model will be made from real fired refractory clay, not some concrete junk.

I'd buy from Forno Bravo if I were buying a modular oven, if for no other reason that it's their primary business, not some sideline.
            Dmun,

Thanks for the fair comments on Superior Clay. Your comment on the composition of ovens sold by manufacturers interests me. Another string I found on Superior ovens indicated the mix of materials was not ideal. I'm curious to understand what the ideal mixture for a prefab pizza oven. It seems like a good characteristic to compare when looking at ovens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

andy

Comment

It's hard to tell from the sales materials what the ovens are made of. Plain terra cotta ovens are not at all durable, and I'd stay away from anything made of refractory concrete, since that stuff is hard to work with, and get consistent results.

Most manufacturers will claim that the exact composition of their domes is proprietary information, and won't provide you with the material data that a firebrick maker will.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
              X