Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long cracks in my dome

Hello,

After a drying period of more than 2 weeks, I started curing the way which was prescribed in the manual of my casa2G 80. Which means in 5 days up to 500?F. On the 6the day we baked our first pizza. After one week and 3 very nice pizza parties I noticed a long horizontal hairline crack all around the oven at the spot where the vertical part of the dome goes into the roof part. Also one vertical hairline crack starts from this "main" crack all the way down to the bottom. I also noticed several other smaller hairline cracks in the oven. The inner dome also lost its grey brilliant gloss and now looks just like rough white ciment. I feel very unconfortable en sad about it. Did I do something wrong ? Are the cracks going to get worse ? Bigger, longer, deeper ? Will they affect the working of the oven ? Or will they just settle/stabilise ? Can anyone take a look at these pictures. Thank you in advance.

Re: Long cracks in my dome

I do not think it is possible to monolithically cast such a large item and then expose it to rapid heating and cooling cycles without some cracking. I also do not think said cracking is much of an issue.

Comment

Ive got cracks in mine, yet strangely it cooks good pizzas........
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

As the saying goes, if your oven doesn't crack, there's something seriously wrong with your oven....
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

HI,
          My name is Amanda and I am the post sales/technical support contact here at Forno Bravo. Hairline crack such as the ones in your picture do happen occasionally. I can assure you can continue to use and enjoy your oven! If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at 1-800-407-5119 extension 14.

Have a great day!
          Amanda

Comment

Thank you for the replies.
            I already feel a lot better.
            We had a pizza party again today.
            I must admit that the cracks haven't grown (yet?).
            Also the few hairline cracks at the outside didn't increase in number or in size. I hope they will stabilise further, so I don't have to worry about that any more. Here in Belgium, wood-fired ovens have become very rare. Friends, family and neighbours are very enthousiast...and we are proud.
            I will add some pictures on this site later.

Comment

Agreed, the crack looks like it occurred at one of your stopping points, I assume because of the difference in the surface texture right at the crack line. When fresh concrete is laid on already cured concrete, natural internal stresses are created. That said however, they are hair line cracks and make virtually no difference in your oven's performance. You may be able to hide the cracks in the rendering layer. No worries, make more pizza.
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I also have a few cracks inside my dome oven, although they run vertical. I think one of them is a good couple of mms wide. Having said this, I have found no more developing both inside and outside (the ones on the outside are only hairline in the render finsh) and my oven cooks great everytime. I personally think it looks ok, gives it a rustic look. Im sure it will be ok, just keep on cooking

Comment

My brother and I designed and built our oven and were meticulous in every detail going way beyond any specs. We took double the time to dry and cure the oven and still have some cracking in the dome. This has to happen due to the expansion and contraction of the brick and mortar. If there were no cracking you would probably blow out a few bricks and then really be in trouble. There is no loss of performance so...keep on cookin.

Comment

What a beautiful oven you have, mrgweeto.
                    My cracks finally stabilised.
                    I don't worry about them any more.
                    I kept on baking during winter.
                    What a pleasure.

Comment

As a bricklayer you get to see lots of cracks, I keep telling the guys to pull theirs shorts up to save my eyes, but they just tell me not to look....
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have to say. My oven has cracks on the outside stucco, one on the arch, and some very fine ones inside the dome. I'm a perfectionist at heart, and at first they annoyed me. The simple fact is, there is just no way we can expect to expose these area to the temperatures we reach, and expect no failures. Do what I have done....enjoy your oven! I think if you don't have cracks, you have not used it enough.
                        Ernie

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO

Comment

Don't think you can get away without having cracks. They are expansion cracks and will open and close. We were so careful seasoning our oven but after lots of cooking we developed several in the joints. One crack is in a small part of the brick but that could be a brick that had a void in it. We are going to point a few up this Spring and re-season. Would make a few small fires regardless because it has been a long cold winter. Keep on cooking and enjoying. Think if it as a Ferrari....they love to be driven.
                          Enjoy,
                          Guy

Comment

This oven has a nasty crack!
                            Last edited by sonomacast; 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Looks like it stops right there. As long as it still cooks and doesn't get any bigger you should be fine. The keystone will keep it in place I would imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X