Casa2g - Sealing dome to board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa2g - Sealing dome to board

<I tried posting this earlier with photos but I don't know where it went - I've since read that I cant post links in my first post so that must be what happened, apologies if this is a dup>

My hearth is now set and I am now ready to start construction of my casa2g90 dome. When it comes to placing the dome down on top of the insulating board, should the dome set on a board of the high temperature mortar? Or should the dome sit directly on the board, and the mortar be applied to the side to seal it in?

I would have thought the second way, but I've seen more photos of the first way than the second..

Re: Casa2g - Sealing dome to board

Hello,
    My name is Amanda and I am the tech support contact here at Forno Bravo. I would be happy to help you with this. The dome would sit directly on top of the insulation board and then sealed from the exterior. Good Luck with the remainder of your build, if you need any additional help please feel free to contact me! Have a great day!!

Sincerely,
    Amanda Shugart

Comment

Thanks Amanda

I had problems with the mortar - it did not go on very well and was troublesome to work with. Before I could fully complete the job the mortar was developing cracks - are these going to be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by amanda View Post
        Hello,
        My name is Amanda and I am the tech support contact here at Forno Bravo. I would be happy to help you with this. The dome would sit directly on top of the insulation board and then sealed from the exterior. Good Luck with the remainder of your build, if you need any additional help please feel free to contact me! Have a great day!!

Sincerely,
        Amanda Shugart
        Hi Amanda, My name is Bambalorna. I'm new to the forum and new to woodfired ovens. I'm happy to know that tech support is available at Forno Bravo. What is the recipe for high temp mortar? A bag came with the kit. Is it supposed to be mixed with sand, lime, anything else? Your advice will be apprecaited, cheers, bamba

Comment

I ended up covering over the cracks in my mortar with 'Pyrogrip' fireplace sealant which is rated for 1200 degrees centigrade, and then over the top of all of it with 'Rubbedin Hot Spot Redi-mortar', rated for 1400 degrees centigrade. It's all rock hard now and I'm pretty confident it will be fine once the insulation goes on over the top.

I see that other people have recieved two different bags of mortar that must be mixed at a 1:1 ratio - I only got one bag of mortar but it had chunks of what I think was the clay inside it.. I just mixed it up with water as there were no instructions to say otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by NathanC View Post
            I see that other people have recieved two different bags of mortar that must be mixed at a 1:1 ratio - I only got one bag of mortar but it had chunks of what I think was the clay inside it.. I just mixed it up with water as there were no instructions to say otherwise.
            Hi Nathan, I also got just one bag, no writing or instructions on it. I don't know if the bag contains pre-mixed refractory mortar or portland cement or other. It will help if Forno Bravo Australia will tell us what is in the bag.

Comment

Hi guys,

Sorry this has been a problem. The mortar included with the Casa2G ovens shipped to Australia is a pre-mixed calcium aluminate refractory mortar -- hydraulic bond, non-water soluble. You just add water. I can see that there is some cracking on the outside of the mortar after you sealed the oven, but that won't cause a problem. The dome is interlocking, and the cracks on the outside of the mortar will not stop the mortar from sealing the oven.

We have taken the steps to provide instruction with the mortar and we've made formula changes to stop the external cracking -- I appreciate the feedback.

Again, sorry for the hassle.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                Hi guys,

We have taken the steps to provide instruction with the mortar and we've made formula changes to stop the external cracking -- I appreciate the feedback.

Again, sorry for the hassle.
                James
                Thanks James, your help is always appreciated

Comment

Working...
                X