Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing a P70 on a stand

Hi everyone,

I have a quick stupid question. I bought a Primavera 70 oven which is now sitting in my backyard on top of a pallet. I plan to put it on the stand using a engine lift, just as shown in the link below:

PRIMAVER INSTALL PHOTOS

My question is how do you put the straps under the oven as shown in the picture? I can use a crowbar to lift one side of the oven off the pallet and slip in the straps but I'm afraid that might damage the oven. The P70 does not have a metal rim like the P60.

Thanks for your help,

Re: Placing a P70 on a stand

I would think you could use some thick wooden shims. Get one started, then use another one under the first so that the first isn't moving as much to minimize possible damage.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Tman,

yeah, i think using wooden shims should work as long as I do it in steps. In a closer look, the oven is actually sitting on top of a piece of styrofoam. That should allow insertion of shims easier. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, by the way, I love your 4-h oven build, very cool. I could relate the excitement shown in the video..

Comment

Yes, I was a tad giddy. It's the one part of the video I'd like to mute out. But, ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hi Whodatoven, how did you end up setting up the P70?

Comment

I purchased mine from a local distributor.

I have an F-150, and I placed cinder blocks and 2 x 4's in the bed (@ the tailgate), hoping that the height would match my base, and I could slide the beast off the bed and on to the base with 5 guys and carrying it like a Pharoah.

We uncrated it at the distributor, and he lifted it on the bed with a fork lift.

With the weight of the oven, my truck bed sank around 3 inches lower than the oven base. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you try and lift the thing. It was all we could do to raise the oven onto the upper slab and slide it into place. A crowbar helps to lift and rotate/position it once resting atop the upper slab.

Don't underestimate the weight of the beast. It is all 5 adult males can handle to lift and place.

And the bottom of the oven will chip appreciably. Order your free patch/repair kit today. You will need it.

Comment

Sounds like dangerous work.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Sounds like dangerous work.
                David, how would you accomplish this task safely?

Comment

Originally posted by fornographer View Post
                  David, how would you accomplish this task safely?
                  Use a crane

Comment

I called a local towing company to see if they'd be interested in lifting it with their cherry picker. No dice.

Good luck. Actually, some long 2 x 4's, at least 6 good strong friends, and some good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizza Fermentor View Post
                      I called a local towing company to see if they'd be interested in lifting it with their cherry picker. No dice.

Good luck. Actually, some long 2 x 4's, at least 6 good strong friends, and some good luck.

And some decent public liability insurance.

Comment

If you get it raised up, and can get the straps under it, when you place it in the final frame, set it on ice blocks. Pull out the straps and let the ice melt and it will lower into place.

I have never seen it done with an oven, but I have seen it done with other, heavier items that needed to nest into a space, with no room to remove the straps if set all the way in.

Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by fornographer View Post
                          Hi Whodatoven, how did you end up setting up the P70?
                          Fornographer,

Sorry I just found this question of your. I installed the P70 about 18 months ago. What I did was the followings:

I used an engine lift with two heavy duty straps (I forgot the name of it but they are rated >3000 lb)) which go underneath the oven. There was a problem we ran into. The lift has two legs which align like a "V". We were not able to position the top of the lift directly above the oven without the "V" legs running into the pallet on which the oven is sitting. As a result, I had to rent another pallet jack which lift the oven a few inches above ground. That allowed the lift to go directly above the oven.

So you need three things: engine lift, straps, and pallet jack. Quite a task, I know, but with those three you can get it done with two people rather quickly.

I just received a newletter saying that FB now sells a P70 with a stand and lighter in weight. I should make the installation easier.

Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by whodatoven; 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

How did you put the straps underneath the P70 without prying it up with a crowbar and potentially damaging it?

Thank you for answering? How is the P70 now that you have had it for almost 2 years? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by whodatoven View Post
                            Fornographer,

Sorry I just found this question of your. I installed the P70 about 18 months ago. What I did was the followings:

I used an engine lift with two heavy duty straps (I forgot the name of it but they are rated >3000 lb)) which go underneath the oven. There was a problem we ran into. The lift has two legs which align like a "V". We were not able to position the top of the lift directly above the oven without the "V" legs running into the pellet on which the oven is sitting. As a result, I had to rent another pellet lift which lift the oven a few inches above ground. That allowed the lift to go directly above the oven.

So you need three things: engine lift, straps, and pellet lift. Quite a task, I know, but with those three you can get it done with two people rather quickly.

I just received a newletter saying that FB now sells a P70 with a stand and lighter in weight. I should make the installation easier.

Hope this helps.

Comment

i used wooden shim. In addition, between the oven and pallet, there is a thin layer of styrofoam which makes the insertion of shim easy. The new P70 now comes with a metal ring which should allow you to use a crowbar without damaging the oven.

One thing I learn about use of P70 is it is important to have a live fire reaching the dome top while you cook pizza. That will do several things for you: 1. it will induce the crust rim to pop, creating that wonderful air bubbles inside the crust and 2. that will prevent the oven floor temperature from plunging too much, and 3. that will actually prevent the bottom of pizza from charring. This requirement is the result of P70 having a relatively high dome.

We just had the most wonderful pizza this past weekend.
                              Last edited by whodatoven; 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X