New Premio2G Door for Unrivaled Heat Retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Premio2G Door for Unrivaled Heat Retention

Premio2G Update! For unrivaled heat retention, our Premio2G residential pizza oven has a new, removable door for the ultimate in insulation.

Weighing in at 18 lbs., the new door features a 1" thick ceramic fiber insulated panel and a 1" air gap, along with a front panel that can seal the oven opening to cut off the air supply, two handles and a thermometer. Very cool!

More about the muscular Premio2G: Premio2G Series Premium Residential Pizza Ovens

Re: New Premio2G Door for Unrivaled Heat Retention

Do we have any data on heat loss over time. I have seen people plot out their oven temps with the door sealed over several days. I would be interested to know how long this oven will hold heat with the door on.

Comment

Hi, Jake.

Thank you so much for your question. We're going to answer you in the January newsletter, so stay tuned! It should be out next week, and I'll also post the answer here in the Forum.

Charlotte

Comment

I'd like to think the door would be available without the oven.....?
        Last edited by Lburou; 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi all,

The new insulated door will be available as an optional accessory for the Casa2G ovens -- as the door opening sizes are the same for Casa2G and Premio2G ovens of the same size. It fits perfectly, which is important, because the insulated part of the door slides into the oven past the door jamb, and the front of the door meets flush with the front to the door jamb and slides past the vent walls.

We would not recommend buying the door for the Pompeii oven because the opening and door jamb of the oven would need to be constructed specifically (and accurately) to fit the door. To me, that's a little like the tail wagging the dog. In the past, we used to sell an un-insulated door for Pompeii oven builders, but a number of builders had problems building the oven to fit the door -- and we had to discontinue it.

We're going to have to think about the heat loss data. The oven opening is one of a number of factors that impact heat retentions -- including dome mass, the quality of the dome material, insulation type and thickness and the time and intensity of firing. Still, it's something we can all think about and work it. It should be a fun project.

Isn't the door cool? :-)

James
          Last edited by james; 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM.
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Very cool door James.
            Just a thought, if you were to provide a scale drawing of the door then some around here might build their ovens or retrofit their ovens to use the door as well.

Just a thought!!

Chris

Comment

Will the door available with a centigrade thermometer?

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                Very cool door James.
                Just a thought, if you were to provide a scale drawing of the door then some around here might build their ovens or retrofit their ovens to use the door as well.

Just a thought!!

Chris
                No doubt in my mind this is an important step in improving efficiency of any oven. This door is 10.5 inches tall, and the oven it is designed for has a 16 inch dome height. That may be a show stopper for those with dome heights that woud upset that 63% magic ratio. James is making a practical decision to keep his customers from making a mistake.

Even so, I could easily build an opening to fit any particular door, but the 16 inch dome height would be more difficult.

This door is a great first step in the right direction
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Just a thought. If you bought the door during the construction phase of a Pompeii oven, you could use it as a template for your arch forms and it would fit. James you could provide a paper template with the door.
                  Eric

Comment

I don't think the main question is so much having a template (or even the door itself) while you are building your oven -- but rather whether it is a good idea building your oven around an existing door in the first place.

Building a brick oven isn't always an exact science :-), and we have had builders try to construct an oven opening to fit an existing door and it doesn't always work.

James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

A few questions

Can we purchase the door seperately for existing Casa 2g (90) owners (and cost)?
                      Will you ship to Australia?
                      Does the temperature guage show celcius?
                      Is the door the same dimension (H x W) as the door for my Casa 2g?

My existing door has a line in the metal that is undermining the paint which has started to flake off after only a half dozen firings or so & also no temperature gauge so I want to replace it - we also haven't set the final height of the oven landing as I wasn't sure what size a replacement door might be.

Comment

Working...
                      X