Dome Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Questions

Well my build has started. WoW is it exciting. i have a couple of questions as you put on additional levels of bricks, i am trying to match the flat edges of the bricks but there are still some small inside gaps? should i try to fill the inside gaps with morter or just coat the outside to seal it and then apply the fb blanket. and also what is the best way to clean of the morter from the inside of the dome?? thanks again for all the help

Re: Dome Questions

Hey Jersey,

If you are using an FB Casa2G or Premio2G, here is a graphic that shows how to apply the mortar to the dome. Basically, you push the interlocking oven pieces together as tightly as they will go. Then make a nice 3" x 3/4" mortar band over the seam on the outside of the oven, pushing the mortar into into the thin seam gap. There is no mortar on the inside of the dome.

You can also find installation graphics and photos in the installation manual.

Enjoy!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Defiantly fill the inside gaps with mortar. Fill all gaps, don't leave any voids.

If you want, clean up excess mortar "bulging" out the inside as you go before it sets. Once your dome is completed you can also go over the inside knocking loose any mortar tabs. This is not critical - the worst that can happen is that bits of mortar may fall on your pizza.
      Last edited by Neil2; 03-26-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

bits of mortar may fall on your pizza.[/QUOTE]

I think that this is the reason most manufacturers recommend that you shouldn't fill the joins from the inside.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Neil, was the use of the word defiantly deliberate or a spelling error? If it was deliberate, it is in perfect context in the disregard of the recommendations. can just imagine you slapping on that mortar defiantly.
          Last edited by david s; 03-26-2011, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Jersey,

The voids may cause some spalling but that will not happen in a home oven. I am going on three years and there is absolutely no sign of it happening. My wood burning stove ran for 18 years before I decided to changed the brick (only because I had the brick and the saw), and I run that around 6 months a year every day. JMO...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

well everyone thanks for all the replys. great help. but there are still 2 camps to fill or not iam leaning to not filling inside and just filling on the outside and then using the fb blanket to seal it all up. does this sound ok ? thanks

Comment

Do you have a picture of the gaps in question?
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

not yet but i will post some soon thanks again.

Comment

Are we talking here about a modular oven or a brick one?

Comment

its a Brick one.

Comment

Sorry, I assumed it is a modular oven as it's in that section.

Comment

If it is a brick oven, just put enough mortar on the brick that when you place it and tap it the excess mortar oozes out the inside joints, then wipe it with a grout sponge. Keep a bucket of water and several grout sponges close by, clean up as you go, so it looks nice in the pictures you post. The outside joints you can fill. Then clean it up with some muriatic acid ( I diluted it 50-50 with water)once you almost have the dome closed. Dont spray muriatic acid into a closed dome-nasty fumes.
                          Eric

Comment

Working...
                          X