Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructing a flat roof

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a modular oven and will be enclosing it with steel studs and cement board. What would be the best way to construct a flat roof? I am thinking I could use the steel studs and cement board and use a gentle slope going toward the back of the oven for drainage. I plan on covering the sides of the oven with tile or fake rock. What would be good to cover the roof with? Also is there any other roofing material that I need for better protection from water intrusion?

Thanks,
    Scott D.

Re: Constructing a flat roof

Anybody? Any ideas?

Comment

Standing seam metal roofing? You only need scraps, visit a roofing company around you.

Comment

suitable rubber (epdm) can be had as simply as buying some pond liner and presumably, in width adequate to cover an oven enclosure without having to screw around with seaming. That's probably your cheapest, easiest bet.
        There are several other membrane materials used for flat roofing that would work but might be harder to obtain in such a small quantity. You could try calling the commercial roofing contractors in your area and asking about scraps of TPO or PVC.
        Do keep in mind that membrane roof products are always either mechanically fastened or ballasted to keep them from getting sucked off by the wind. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about something as small as an oven shack, but it is a possibility.

Comment

Hello sjdritz,

I got my metal roofing from Lowe's. It comes in various lengths so you can likely buy just one sheet and cut it in half for the roof. Trim the corners so they aren't sharp and place some kind of decoration in the ground so people have to walk around it and aviod hitting the corner of the metal roof. I used wrought iron plant hangers and stuck them in the ground at the corners.

Also, plan for some vents at the peak. I used 3" round plug type vents. Allow for circulation if the interior ever gets wet from curing or condensation, etc.

Cheers,
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I used the metal roofing from Lowes as well - on my first oven. Painted it with hammered copper spray paint - looked pretty darned good.

I'm going to use the same material for WFO #2.

Comment

Hi All,

A good place to find metal roofing, at a great price, is a roofing manufacturer. Yes, it seems obvious, but they often have production over-runs and order cancellations that they are stuck with. One such business in my area has a board behind the receptionists desk that lists the weekly specials (over-runs). You may not get your desired color or rib shape but the low price is hard to beat. If you check back often they may have the type roofing you want on special sale. Very high quality and custom roofing also become available too.

Cheers,
              Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Cheesesteak,

Is your arch, just the dome material from Forno Bravo. It is hard to tell from the picture how you did that?

Scott D.

Comment

Originally posted by sjdritz View Post
                  Cheesesteak,

Is your arch, just the dome material from Forno Bravo. It is hard to tell from the picture how you did that?

Scott D.
                  No - that was not an FB oven. The arch on that oven was a poured-in-place arch using a Quikrete product called Precision Grout. I made forms using bender board - inserted a rebar shaped like the arch - and simply poured the grout into the form. That's the color right out of the bag too. I used the same product on my fireplace arch:

Both the fireplace and pizza oven had square entry boxes and I wanted to make both appear to have arched entries. I was amazed at how easy it was to accomplish the look without much work.

Comment

Hi..,Ever last Flat Roofing can quickly economically convert any cold deck flat roof to a warm roof. Where the existing roof deck is in satisfactory condition and of a suitable material. The insulation will be fixed directly on top. Any one tried this?
                    roofing contractors Calgary
                    Roofing contractors Calgary

Comment

If you want the shingle look go to a roofing supply co and check for overruns, leftover bundles, partial bundles. We had just re roofed our large honey processing building and we had a half dozen bundles left over, just what the doctor ordered. If shingles are the appropriate roof then try that route.

Derk

Comment

I has a similar dilemma. I was thinking steel, but finding and finishing was an issue for me. I This may sound crazy, but I used concrete for my flat roof with a gentle slope (made a frame with 2" overhang to go over the stone, base was concrete board). So far drains well, no water stands on top.

Comment

Working...
                        X