X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premio 2G Build

Hello,
    A few questions.
    1) After application of the 4" of insulation is it necessary or advisable to 'stucco' the exterior dome if the oven will eventually enclosed in a Gabled house type design?
    2) If the gabled enclosure is going to be built should the chimney be a 2 walled insulated type?
    3) Should Hardibacker also be used on the roof?
    4) How long should you wait following assembly and mortar application before proceeding to the application of insulation and stucco if desired ?
    5) Vermiculite insulation if the gable approach is used is it just applied loosely over the dome insulation ? Is this overkill for this oven ?

Thanks in advance for your insight !
    Peter

Re: Premio 2G Build

Hi Dochop,

1) You don't have to use stucco, some people once they tie down the blankets they use vermiculite however its very important that the house you are building be water proof.

2) Since you are using metal studs to build the house the doubled walled chimney is not necessary.

3) Yes you would use the hardibacker board.

4) Just enough time for the mortar to dry maybe 24 hours.

5) For insulation it is over kill, however if you are doing it to hold down your blankets in the gable house, it is what most people do.

Let me know if you have any other questions you can always reach me at 1-800-407-5119 ext14.

Thanks,
    Heidi
    '

Comment

Heidi,
      Thanks for your prompt reply. How do I seal the chimney/roof interface as it seems to me to be an entry point for moisture ? I plan to use a metal roof.

Peter

Comment

Hey Peter, last weekend I bought some fireproof and heat resistant caulk at Lowe's to do what you are describing. I bought it based on a phone call I had with a fireplace expert who recommended it. However, after I bought it, I noticed on the label that it's water soluble, which concerns me.

I haven't applied it yet to know how well it works. I'll be interested to see what other responses you get as there are more expert opinions on this site than mine.

Comment

M1....probably water soluble prior to set I guess my concern is for a watertight enclosure especially since the insulation is exposed. Where are you in your build?
          Peter

Comment

Below is a pic of where I was at as of early July. Since then I've mortared the joints between the hardiboard and installed the soffits, but I haven't yet begun the finish work.

I've hesitated to secure and seal the chimney at the point it exits the hardiboard. . . I've got the same question you do as to the best way. The rain cover on the chimney will reduce the amount of water the seam is exposed to and I think the caulk will work for a few years, but I'm worried about how it will hold up long-term. Hopefully others chime in with a thumbs up that this will work or a better approach.

Comment

M1'
              Awesome job. I see you have not yet installed the metal roof....how do u keep the oven dry? How did you navigate the curing process ?
              Thanks,
              Peter

Comment

Working...
              X