Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing schedule Modular Ovens

Hello,
    I have been wondering about the delay between assembly of the modular oven components the application of FB mortar and the start of curing. In the included instructions it says to wait a week or so before curing while the FB mortar says wait overnight after application prior to curing schedule. Do I have to wait 1 week before I start the curing schedule with a modular oven ?
    Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Curing schedule Modular Ovens

Check out this thread, this is what I am planning on following next week:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...uring-767.html

Comment

Horrocks007,
      I have modified the approach somewhat. I have been using lump/hardwood charcoal to cure during the week. I will then ramp it up this weekend when I can tend to it.
      Peter

Comment

The top third of the oven walls are going to get way hotter than the rest of the oven. This inevitably results in uneven expansion resulting in stresses and sometimes cracks. The faster you cure the more likely these stresses are to result in cracking. During curing the difference in temps betwwen the top of the dome and the bottom are extreme. The top may have cleared ( carbon burnt off 300C+) while the base of the dome is struggling to reach 180 C ( Americans do the temp conversions- approx.- double) This is because the water has been driven off the top of the dome and the temp there will start to increase rapidly while the lower dome walls are still busy purging themselves of water. Back off and let the temps equalize and also let the moisture migrate evenly through the whole dome. What this means in practise is that you should take the curing fires slowly to avoid damage to the refractory and avoid flames that hit the top of the dome. Slow and steady wins the race.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Davids,
          I guess that is why I have been using the charcoal...no flames licking the dome and oven temp with door closed of about 300F at day three...have spread out the charcoal from rt to left across the floor in a crescent shape. Dome is still pitch black.
          Peter

Comment

Working...
          X