Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premio Dome Covering?

Hi everyone

I plan to tile the dome of my premio2g and am wondering what is the best method.
    My thoughts are to:
    1) cure the oven first

2) cover with the insulating blanket and hardware cloth

3) cover that with 2 coats of quikrete's quikwall surface bonding cement mixed with their acrylic fortifier

4) use thinset, tile, grout, and sealer

Would this be acceptable?

I'm having trouble finding recommended products mentioned in this forum in the Atlanta area, so I am wanting to use substitutes that the typical Lowes HomeDepot carry. I can't even find stucco at the local stores.

Re: Premio Dome Covering?

Rushhour, you might want to consider building some sort of rebar armiture to create the shape of the exterior dome and help support the weight. There is another query concerning this same issue posted at this time (skinnydoc: stuccoing dome over insulation).

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Comment

Thanks Wiley, I have much more reading to do.

Comment

Hi Rushhour, what we're planning to do with our Premio (after I get the seams mortared and cure the oven) is put on all the insulating blanket, then form an armature out of pencil rebar (available at home depot). Right now my plan is to use a masonry drill to drill into the hearth, so that the rebar armature goes entirely over everything - hope that makes sense. Then put the hardware cloth and fiberglass scrim on top of the armature and do 2 or 3 coats of quikwall. All of this might not happen until next spring though because it's starting to get cold here and my hired help (husband) just broke his collarbone!
        Elise in Minneapolis

Comment

Be aware that the hot and moist environment will accelerate the corrosion of the steel rebar (presumably un galvanized) particularly if it is exposed and not completely embeded. Steel will expand when rusted creating fractures in the outer shell. You may have to wait about 5 or 6 years by which time you might be ready to build another or redo the outer shell. The solution I prefer is to use non corrosive (plastic) reinforcing fibres. It's much faster too because you simply mix them in- no fabrication time and expense.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I agree with David. Besides, working with steel rebar in this application can be very frustrating.

To get the shape you want, you may consider a layer of vermicrete (12:1). This is easy to form and will add insulation. Your stucco can go directly onto that.

Comment

David,
              From my understanding, quikrete's quikwall (surface bonding cement) has fiberglass reinforcing fibers already mixed in. Would this be a good substitute for the plastic fibers? Or would you add them as well?

Comment

Sorry to hear about your husband Elise

Comment

Apparently the only fix for a broken collarbone, is woodfired pizza.. maybe im wrong? but seems legit!

Comment

Rushour,
                    Sorry I don't know that product. I have not seen that stuff here in Austalia. I use fibres that are designed to reinforce concrete slabs, there are many types. You will have to do your own local research.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks everyone! You've given me lots to think about. What a great service this forum is!
                      Elise in Minneapolis

Comment

Working...
                      X