Replacing floor tile - Casa2g 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing floor tile - Casa2g 100

One of the middle flloor tiles in my Cass 2g 100 broke into pieces. FB sent a replacement but I can't see how I'm going get that 50lb tile back in the hole when I rake out the pieces if the old one. Anyone have any helpful experience with this? Maybe FB should come do it under warranty.

Steve Schroeder
    Little Rock

Re: Replacing floor tile - Casa2g 100

I can only relate from "similar" experience. I haven't replaced a tile in a FB. However, try 3 wooden dowels or thin pipe. Place 2 dowels at the entrance on as straight a course as possible for the destination. Place the replacement tile on the 2 dowels. Roll the replacement tile towards the hole. About 1/3 of the way before the rear of the tile drops off of the rear dowel place the 3rd dowel in front of the tile. As the rear dowel drops out the load is transferred to the other 2 dowels. In this manner you can keep 2 rollers under the tile at all times. Note: the dowels must be slightly longer than the width of the tile. A slight repositioning may be required to square the tile up over the hole. With a couple of leavers (small crow bars, 1"X2" boards cut into a slight wedge at the end etc., you should be able to place the replacement into position.
    EDIT: If the tiles have sharp square corners on the bottom you might want to conscider beveling or rounding them slightly using a firebrick or similar abrasive. This might help the tile slip into place a little easier.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Gulf; 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Good idea on the dowels - it's one of the ways I've been thinking about. I'm also thinking about using some ice blocks of just the right size to fill in the empty hole and allow me to maneuver the new piece into position over the hole. The ice would melt obviously and lower the firebrick tile into place. Any residual water would evaporate in the subsequent curing fires. All of this vastly underestimates the difficulty of working inside a 44" oven through a small hole in the front; and glosses over the pain in the behind of havng a brand new oven (September 2011) with a broken floor tile. It's a little like the new car dealer standing behind its product by giving you the new parts under warranty, but not installing them.

Steven Schroeder
      Little Rock

Comment

Originally posted by sfs@busval.com View Post
        One of the middle flloor tiles in my Cass 2g 100 broke into pieces.
        What do you mean, it broke into pieces? Is the tile unusable?

I have the same oven and one of my floor tiles has cracked all the way across. I haven't noticed it to affect the way the oven performs at all though.

Comment

Same here -two or three cracks in the floor tile; no issue for pizza or bread. If its just cracks, I wouldn't replace.

Karl

Comment

A good thought, that sort of misses the point. I paid FB a lot of money for a serviceable product, and I expect them to deliver product - in this case floor tile - that doesn't fracture in normal use, unless they tell me in advance that broken (fractured, cracked from top surface to bottom surface) are normal (in which case I would not have purchased their product). Suppose you bought a new car and the paint peeled off. I'd be one angry customer, and no one would suggest that I ignore the peeliong paint since it doen't affect the drivability of the car.

Steven Schroeder
            Little Rock

Comment

Working...
            X