Confused by wording + pictures in residential install guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused by wording + pictures in residential install guide

I'm getting ready to frame and then pour my hearth over the next day or so (I got a Casa2G90), and I'm going over the residential install PDF just to make sure I'm not missing anything, and I come across this passage in The Oven Stand section:

"Drop a section of 1/2" rebar in every other core, and fill those cores with concrete."

What I did was drop rebar in every other core, and I filled every other core with concrete ("those cores", aka the ones with rebar in them). However- looking at some posts, it seems people are filling in every core? Is that what is supposed to be done?

And I'm also slightly confused about where the hardibacker goes- does it lay over my cores as well (which is what picture 3.3 and 3.4 seem to show), or does it lay inset on the internal frame, as the description for part 3 implies? Here's what it says:

"The top of the 2?x4? frame should be about 3/4" below the top of the stand (to allow for the 1/2" Hardibacker form bottom and shims)."

But then it goes on to say "4. Cut the sheets of 1/2? Hardibacker to fit inside the wood form and lay on top of the block stand." - that would imply that it sits on top of the cores? Or are there multiple pieces of hardibacker that are coming into play here?

Thanks for any suggestions- it would really suck to screw this part up!

Re: Confused by wording + pictures in residential install guide

Hi Gus,

Here's are pics of what I did:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...dome-2346.html

I filled every other core. However, if you leave the empty cores empty, they will fill with concrete when you pour the slab, so you need to fill the empty cores with something. I stuffed them full of empty concrete bags, trash, beer cans, whatever I had laying around. I then topped them off with a bit of left over concrete to seal them up.

The Hardibacker or plywood sits level with the top of the stand, inside the stand. You want the slab to bond to the blocks. I think my pics do a better job of explaining than I can!

Let us know if you have any other questions!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks Ken!

It looks like you put some plastic over the plywood- I suppose that would be prudent to do as well? The guide doesn't mention this, but I assume it would be OK to do either way.

Comment

I used the plastic because I used a plywood form and I wanted to remove the plywood. I think it's far easier to use Hardibacker and skip the plastic. The Hardibacker will bond to the concrete and become a permanent resident. No need to remove it. There have been improvements to the techniques over the years, using Hardibacker and skipping the plastic is one of them!

What is your plan for insulation under the cooking floor?
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Comment

Since I bought the kit, I've got the FB Board insulation. I assume that's good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by ccgus View Post
            Since I bought the kit, I've got the FB Board insulation. I assume that's good enough?
            Perfect
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
            X