Yet another hearth question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another hearth question...

Sorry if this has been addressed before but, the search feature seems to be disabled. My question is: the installation guide for the Giardino 70 is well written until the section regarding the hearth pour. I have constructed my block stand, filled every other core, including the 3 on each corner, and now that I am ready to pour the hearth. My desire is to "round" the front as in the photos from aforementioned installation guide.

I can very simply imagine fabricating the curve with flexible board, but the hardibacker dimensions have me stymied. So far I have the forms built under the hardi to support it, but also have it overlapping the block by an inch or two. Toward the front, is where my concern lies. If I "flush out" the hardi to the edge to begin the curve, is that a problem?

Any guidance, pix, etc from those who have created this design would be most helpful. Thanks in advance! Going to try to post a photo of what the heck Im talkin about!!

Re: Yet another hearth question...

Welcome to the forum!

I built a stand with a curved, cantilevered hearth which is what I think you are describing. I took a few photos of the frame I built for the concrete pour. They are in my build thread. The photos you will be interested in start here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...html#post13844

The only mistake I made with my pour is I forgot to tap or vibrate the frame with a small hammer to get the concrete to settle into the corners. Really didn't matter because I covered it with stone.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks Ken! I will admit, after posting, calling FB, and pacing for an inordinant amount of time, I just jumped in... Low and behold, I did just what you had suggested, and after many bags o' concrete, mixing until well after dark.... Ta da! Hearth is poured. Pix to come...

Comment

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pix.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
        X