Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does an angled FLUE make a difference ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does an angled FLUE make a difference ??

Hi All,

Im installing a modular oven in a corner position under a hip roof. As a result, it is sitting directly underneath the hip rafters. Therefore, i have to place a couple of 45 degree bends in the flue in order to bypass these rafter beams. My question is, is does having an angled/bent flue affect it's performance to any extent that i will notice? Will it make a difference to the way i cook ?

Hoping to hear from anybody who has any experience and can advise.

Thanks.
    Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Re: Does an angled FLUE make a difference ??

Once the flue and oven get to temp I doubt you would notice any difference. You may need to bring it up slower than most (big maybe here). After that it will not be a problem.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

It sounds like you are venting out through a roof. That leads me to believe your flue is going to be fairly tall, much taller then the couple of feet common on ovens that are built free standing. If that is the case your vent will probably draw better then most ovens, even with the offset.

Comment

Yep, it will be made up of 3 x 900mm stainless steel tubes, with the angled piece that joins the two straight lengths cut a bit shorter. All up, it will be over 2 metres extending through the roof (BTW, the piece within the roof area and extending out will be contained in an extra double walled "drop box" for safety).

Great to hear that this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your input fellas.
        Regards,

Bruno

Comment

Actually, 30 degrees is the maximum allowed by code. If possible increase the size of the flue if you have to have an angled exhaust, and minimize the angle as much as possible. The issue is not draw as much as it is flue fires which are notorious for burning down structures.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            Actually, 30 degrees is the maximum allowed by code.
            Hi Tscarborough,

I live in Sydney and have checked all relevant documentation/regulations and it seems that a 45 degree bend in the flue to pass through walls or around other structures is permissible.

Anyway, I went back outside today and have replanned the positioning of the oven. I'm moving it over about half a meter so that the flue can go straight between the rafters without obstruction. Although I had hoped for it to be sitting symmetrical in that space, I'd rather have a straight flue for draw & safety issues, and not to mention a better look, than for it to be sitting perfectly in the corner with a horrible looking bent flue.

Thanks again for everyones advise.

BTW, I'll post some progress photo's shortly.

Regards,
            Bruno
            Regards,

Bruno

Comment

We all like hot photos. And pictures of ovens are good too.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

It may well be in Australia, I only reference IBC and US codes. Even then there is latitude, but best practice is 30 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                  We all like hot photos.
                  Just for you Chip a hot pic, the inside of my gas forge, temperature of around 1600c.

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Al,

What do you forge? Crocodile Dundee knives? If so I want one.

Comment

I havent as yet got around to knives, but Ive been thinking about it....
                      If I was to do knives they would be folded Damascus style.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

A thing of beauty. If you do, I'm first on your list for one. You should see some of the Japanese folded carbon steel knives make with volcano iron ore.

Comment

Ive watched many a video on youtube of the Japanese making swords and knives, great stuff to watch, it makes the hair on the back of ya neck stand up.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            Just for you Chip a hot pic, the inside of my gas forge, temperature of around 1600c.
                            Wow Al, that is like looking into the sun.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Working...
                            X