Artigiano question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artigiano question...

This one is really a clarifying question for James.. Not sure if this is the right forum for the question...

Images of the Artigiano here: http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Arti...n-p-16169.html seem to reflect a brick pattern the same as those in the Pompeii oven instructions.

However, images of an installed Artigiano reflect a different pattern up top in the ceiling of the dome. See here: Picasa Web Albums - Mark - Pizza Oven Feb 4

James can you fill us in on how the brick pattern transitions from the Pompeii like pattern to a clearly differnt pattern up top... Also, any explanation as to why the change in the pattern compared to the Pompeii where the pattern runs the same all the way to the top?

I don't think this has been discussed before.. would appreciate your input..

JB

Re: Artigiano question...

Hi John,

Each Artigiano is made by hand, so no two are exactly alike -- which is pretty cool. My impression is that the photo Mark posted shows the front center of the oven, behind the opening, which is not the apex of the dome -- which would be further back. The back and sides of the oven would have the chains, and it is the transition from the curved entry arch into the oven and the apex would require the cuts you see.

I have to admit that I did not stick my head inside Mark's oven before it was shipped, so I can't answer how the transition were made and the bricks cut -- or how the chains work. I have great respect for Mr. Marcello, and his brickwork.

Perhaps Mark can shed some light on this.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James!

That clarifies it somewhat... seeing that brick work inside the dome threw me, 'cause I hadn't seen that pattern on any other dome shaped oven. Your description makes sense.

It would be interesting to hear any thoughts Mark might have on the subject.

JB

Comment

Here is a better view maybe, from yesterday:

Picasa Web Albums - Mark - Pizza Feb 11 ...
        Keller TX
        Artigiano 39"
        former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
        www.leanblog.org
        http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Isn't that great. Wow.
          Thanks Mark.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Yesterday's fire *completely* burned all the soot off, finally exposing all of that beautiful brick again. It's gorgeous work.
            Keller TX
            Artigiano 39"
            www.leanblog.org

sigpic

Comment

That is a beautiful oven dome. I cannot imagine how the mason makes it so smooth. How many do you figure he constructs a year James?

Comment

Originally posted by maver View Post
                That is a beautiful oven dome. I cannot imagine how the mason makes it so smooth. How many do you figure he constructs a year James?
                it's so smooth it looks "fake", like brick wallpaper had been attached. it's amazing. i'm proud and lucky to own a piece of such fine workmanship!
                Keller TX
                Artigiano 39"
                www.leanblog.org

sigpic

Comment

I've never asked how many he makes. I will. The "company" is the master builder and two apprentices -- that's it. I have always felt very lucky that we can get these ovens. The introduction took some luck, and we needed our Italian teacher on hand for the first couple of negotiations, and it took a long time to build up good trust. They have been able to meet every FB order so far, and Mr. Marcello is a warm and friendly person.

I wrote a little more about him here. I will see if he will answer the how many question.
                  James

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f7/f...tails-561.html
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Very interesting to study Mark's ceiling....you can see a variety of custom cut bricks as the dome was being laid up. There also appears to be a liberal amount of mortar being used.

I enjoy studying masonary walls...Artwork for the eye.
                    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                    X