How can I prevent cracking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I prevent cracking?

We are awaiting delivery of our Casa 2G90 oven. Other that properly curing the oven, is there anything else we can do to prevent cracks in the dome or floor? We appreciate any advice!

Re: How can I prevent cracking?

Gudday
    look up your instructions on curing the oven, follow them, don't rush. If you do develop cracks ofter this they will be small only. If the oven gets wet or doesnt get used for a period after this do a mini cure to redry it.

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by sdsrn View Post
      is there anything else we can do to prevent cracks in the dome or floor?
      Dont put a fire in it.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Dont put a fire in it.
        And avoid earthquakes.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsrn View Post
          We are awaiting delivery of our Casa 2G90 oven. Other that properly curing the oven, is there anything else we can do to prevent cracks in the dome or floor? We appreciate any advice!
          Follow the instructions on curing to drive out the water in the oven. After that fire and cook away. You may find your oven develops some cracks in either the floor or the dome. These are usually small and don't affect the performance of the oven. They are usually caused by heating the refractory too fast for it too cope with because of the uneven expansion of the refractories used. If you limit the heat up of the oven to 100 C per hour you would probably eliminate cracks, but in practice nobody takes it that slow and as the fire is difficult to control there is a huge difference in the temperature in various parts of the oven. Every new oven owner starts by being worried about temperature and cracks, just get it and use it. If you get cracks on the outside, presuming you are doing an igloo design then you should seal up any cracks that might develop because they provide a place where water can enter.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Given you are in Arkansas which can be pretty wet some years I would encourage you to have roof over the dome or even enclosed for the oven will be likely to get wet and require repeated curing if you just have an exposed dome - and don't overlook that water can get under the oven (on the hearth slab) from exposed horizontal surfaces and from the landing under the chimney.

Note: recuring is usually not a cracking issue but...it can be if the oven is wet and you build a big fire.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I have seen so many photos of ovens uncovered, some with snow on them, that I haven't put much thought into a cover.
              Now, time to start planning for a pavillion!

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                If you limit the heat up of the oven to 100 C per hour you would probably eliminate cracks, but in practice nobody takes it that slow and as the fire is difficult to control there is a huge difference in the temperature in various parts of the oven. .
                Note: This is not FB recomended. But charcoal curing works great on brick ovens. It may be above my pay grade to recomend it for kit ovens, but I don't see why it wont work for them too. I used Karangi Dudes's heatbead/charcoal curing method. It is a lot more forgiving (and controlable) on the dome than a flame impingement on the dome.

just sayin'
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf!

Comment

Do not stress!!!! Go slow! If a crack develops (and it will) relax. I followed the FB cure schedule and even went slower. I still got small cracks when I move the fire to the side. I would never have known if I did not pull back the insulation layer. I started with 1" of ceramic blanket during the cure. No cracks Next, I added 4" of ceramic blanket after he cure schedule. Fired up to a max temp was 890. Afterwards I lifted the insolation i saw the cracks. I stressed. I could even see the glow of the fire in a small 1/8" crack about 2" long. In the end I covered it up and it works GREAT.

Comment

Working...
                    X