vermiculit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vermiculit

i have agroculture vermiculit 0-5 mm . is it good for floor insulation?
    Last edited by bing; 01-30-2013, 04:34 AM.

Re: vermiculit

Yes that will do fine. Mix it 5 parts vermiculite to one part portland cement and just enough water so that it does not pool in the bottom of your barrow. For every 10 parts vermiculite you need about 3 parts water.Your floor insulation needs to be about 100 mm thick.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

thanks for answer. goinbg to buy right now. a bag 100 litres is 20 euro.

Comment

I think I know the answer, but the 5:1 ratio is using vermiculite to straight portland cement - no sand added?

My mason is pouring my structural layer this week followed by the vermicrete level a few days later. He has never worked with vermiculite so he is trusting me to feed him the correct info....

Comment

The 5:1 vermiculite, cement ratio is correct for the under floor insulation slab. It is strong enough. Sand added will increase strength but reduce insulation value.

If you are building an igloo get your builder to mound your structural slab up slightly in the middle to prevent water penetrating under the vermicrete layer. If building a doghouse it doesn't really matter, you can keep it flat.
          Last edited by david s; 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

David

thank you for the quick reply!

I will have him omit the sand.

building a doghouse over it so no worries about the vermicrete.....

I found a source for bulk vermiculite quite cheap so no iso or blanket for me....gonna fill the house with 6-10" of vermiculite all around over a modular oven.

Looking to pour the vermicrete base 7" high for extra insulation and more height for my oven floor over the std 4 block high base.

Comment

is 5 cm (2") ceramic wool enough on the dome? i want to finish dome like igloo. find thing called stucco. can i make stucco with cement, lime and sand, and what ratio? no need to be waterproof becouse the roof over oven.

Comment

Bing,
                Two inches of blanket should be plenty. A lot of oven builders cover the blanket with a layer of vermiculite and cement because the creases and folds in the blanket leave an irregular surface. This vermicrete layer also adds additional insulation. One or two inches thick should be enough. If you decide to do this then a 10:1 vermiculite, cement ratio is better because it insulates better with less cement. Allow it to dry for at least week before doing the stucco over it.

Comment

can i make stucco myself. is it mix of sand cement and lime?

Comment

Yes, I do. The mix I use is 4:1:1 sand, cement, lime. I also add reinforcing fibres to give it more strength.

Comment

thanks. i will do it next week.

Comment

Does anyone have an idea how many cubic feet of vermiculite I should have available to cover a Premio2G100 with a 2" layer of vermicrete? I was thinking of using 8:1 but I noticed in the stream 10:1 was used as well.

Comment

2 times pi times radius squared plus 15-20%
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            2 times pi times radius squared plus 15-20%
                            What Russell said, but divided by 1728 (cubic inches in a cubic foot) .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I am picking the oven up Monday and want to have all the ducks lined up. I have no experience with vermicrete but lots of experience of calculating bags of concrete needed wrong. Long story but I finally can do that right! Been waiting "patiently" since November to finalize this project. Cannot wait to start cooking. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X