• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: how many thermocouples?

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    I was able to get my temperature monitoring system up and running over the weekend. Attached are a few pics to show some detail. The temperature controller is mounted in a swing out configuration that can be neatly tuck away to preserve ambiance and satisfy a few critics. I still need to finish the aux jacks and put on the permanent switch location labels and face plate. My final plan is to use the output of the controller to some how control oven temp. If anyone would like some further detail or has any questions ask I will try to help.

Here are my locations:

1 Enclosure top outside insulation air space
    2 Top of dome inside brick, 1" from face
    3 Top of dome on outside brick face
    4 Right side mid dome inside 1" from brick face
    5 Right side mid dome on outside brick face
    6 Floor right on outside brick face
    7 Floor center on outside brick face
    8 Left side mid dome inside 1" from brick face
    9 Left side mid dome on outside brick face
    10 Aux 1 temperature jack
    11 Aux 2 temperature jack
    I think I now have enough.....................

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

LOL.............Only if the wife give me trouble

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

[QUOTE=kbartman;155836]Ok purchase my IR thermometer from THERMO TECH Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer w/ FREE Holster (-58? To +1022? F) I probaly should of held out for the higher range but was happy with the price, so i bought it.

Why? I can't think anything that cooks at 1022F. Will it also be used as a crematorium?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Ok purchase my IR thermometer from THERMO TECH Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer w/ FREE Holster (-58? To +1022? F) I probaly should of held out for the higher range but was happy with the price, so i bought it.

I found this temperature controller to use as my thermocouple read out.....Autonics TC Series PID Temperature Controller | Temperature Controllers | Instrumart What you all think?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I've got one almost exactly the same, but it's called ThermoWorks, but has the same range.It very easily "tops out". Don't forget that an IR only reads the surface temp so will record a higher temp than the oven really is at. The laser pointer on mine has died by the way, but it is independent of the temp measuring sensor so it still works.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I'm thinking of buying this IR thermometer??..I need everyone?s opinion. Do you like it? Is the range high enough? If you know of a better one or better deal post the address, thanks all.

THERMO TECH Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer w/ FREE Holster (-58? To +1022? F)

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Faith,
    Thx but karangi dude advise me on tc placement if i were only putting in two.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Great placement Russell, With those two numbers alone you can tell where to stop your firing to hit your desired oven temp after the resting period. Just average the two numbers and that should be your total saturation temperature.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

KB,

I did use 3/8" 316 SS tubing I picked up as scrap. I place on probe at 1/2" from the inside of the brick and the other abt 1/2" from the outside of the brick. My plan for the TCs were to monitor brick heat saturation for future baking. Since I have barely finished the final coating of the oven I have not measured temperatures other than confirm the TCs work. I did not think it was worth while to monitor until all the insulation was on. I just use a laser gun for my pizza but starting to get a feel on how hot the floor is without the gun.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by RichC View Post
    Well KBartman, I may actually put 1 or 2 in. The one my refractory sells is this Digital Thermometer . I might just buy a few probes and install them as it should be very cheap. And then buy 1 digital readout like this, or even use my multimeter. Can anyone tell me, is it aKtype probe or what?
    Richc,
    Sorry I miss this question. Yes that meter does take a type K probe.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

That is some great info about the tubing. I need to replace a thermocouple and while I was there I figured I would add a well. Mine are just inserted in the mortar joint, so good to know about the SS. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

[QUOTE=
    Hope you didn’t mind the poke and hope you will be getting the hour glass out to impress the guest.[/QUOTE]

no worries. Actually, if I had an hourglass it would look really good perched on top of the oven. Thanks for the idea. I might look for one. I've been through all the temp measuring devices. I have a thermometer in the side of my oven another hole on the other side to take a kiln probe that has a porcelain sheath which is connected to an anologue (unpowered) read out gauge, an infrared gun and an internal air temp thermometer as well as a thermometer you stab into a joint of meat or loaf of bread. Increasingly use all of them less the more I cook. There is another trick apart from the semolina on the floor that the Italians used to use and that is to hold your fist in the centre of the oven until you have to take it out. 0 secs= pizza 1 sec= v hot ( roast Vegas, calzones 2-3 secs = foccacias, roast meats 4 secs = bread,puff pastry, general baking 6-7 scones, desserts etc. many = slow rost meats,drying etc.
    Last edited by david s; 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Automotive brake line is stainless, hit the car junk yard and see what you can find.

Chip
    Cool, good idea

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

Ouch stainless tubing, you can now see the why my projects are plague with cost over runs.
    Automotive brake line is stainless, hit the car junk yard and see what you can find.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I used a copper pipe for the sleeve for my thermometer probe on my mobile oven and wish I hadn't. The thermal conductivity of copper is k value 400 W/mk That of stainless steel 16. A metal tube connecting the inside of the oven to the outside will conduct a fair amount of heat away from the chamber.I now always use stainless if fitting one on an oven. Another little problem I had was that the pipe fitted too tightly in the wall of the dome so every time the oven heated up it would push the pipe out of the outer shell a few millimeters each time. I had to fix it by making the hole in the inner wall slightly oversized so it would not grip the tube. That was about 4 years ago and it is still functioning well.
    All good info Dave. A little above my pay grade. I only install, repair, troubleshoot, operate and maintain the equipment. I try to leave the design and calculations up to the experts and learn from there mistakes. Usually the design team is long gone and we experiment to come up with solutions’ like your.

Ouch stainless tubing, you can now see the why my projects are plague with cost over runs.

Hope you didn’t mind the poke and hope you will be getting the hour glass out to impress the guest.
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM. Reason: proof reading after posting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X