Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premio 2G FB blanket smell

Hi

Have been in the curing stages of our new Premio2g and all has been going well until I installed the FB blanket.
    Some of the cures I did without because I wanted to see if I would get any cracks etc. well I did, nothing major just a hairline crack. So as I started to reach in the curing process around 400f I decided to go ahead and install the FB blanket. I started to notice the smell when the oven reached 600f and today 700f. No smoke from the blanket, cool at the touch which is great. But just that smell.
    I'm thinking that the oven is extremely hot under there so the smell is coming from the first layer of FB blanket heating up.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Peter

Re: Premio 2G FB blanket smell

Originally posted by paltobelli View Post
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Peter
    Cook something that smells better than the blanket? After I installed the blanket I covered it before any fires - never noticed it.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Do you reccon it may be that smell associated with the dome beginning to clear?
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

If you are using the standard components it is probably not an issue. I cured the oven (pretty much) before I put the insulation on so it was sealed under the dome. I reckon Les has the right idea.

If we have all used the same stuff we will probably all die together! If all you can smell is good pizza it probably isn't such a bad way to go.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

thanks for the responses.

Yes only the standard components where used. The odor is definitely coming from the blanket. I wonder if I placed the FB blanket too close to the chimney which does get extremely hot. here is a photo of it.

Greenman thanks for your response but even if its fully "cured" won't the Forno dome exterior still be very hot?

I'm just worried that when I do build the enclosure that the odor of the FB Blanket will penetrate through. Since it was a little windy yesterday it was very strong. Would you guys suggest taking the blanket off and seeing how the Forno performs under the next curing 800F just to see if there are cracks etc. (doesn't make sense that there will be any major cracks because inside the Forno the only thing i see are the modular joints and the two hairline cracks.)
          By the way how long did you guys cure for (once you hit the temperature then stop, let it burn off gradually or did you keep at that temperature for hours)

Comment

Hi,

The oven will not be hot to the touch. The insulation serves two purposes.
            It helps with heat retention, so you will be very, very pleased with the oven's performance. It's really remarkable. And second the layers of insulation is what keep the fully assembled oven cool to to the touch, this applies to the insulation board as well, which serves the same purpose.

The smell you are referring to, could be the type of wood you are using or the vegetable-grease that is used on the dome during casting. The dome is greased to be able to release from the mold, and that might be the smell you a picking up. Once you fully assemble the oven, and cure it properly the smell will fade away.

Hairline cracks is something that can happen on occasion with brick ovens due to the expansion and contraction that results from thermal cycling. But it will not cause you any problems, either with how well your oven cooks or on its long-term durability. You can continue using your oven and not worry about this.

During the curing process you want to maintain the fire temperature of 300F throughout the day and as long as possible into the evening. And same applies to the following days, of course increasing the temperature.

Please be sure to let us know if anything changes, and we hope you continue to enjoy using your oven!

Comment

Originally posted by paltobelli View Post
              thanks for the responses.

Yes only the standard components where used. The odor is definitely coming from the blanket. I wonder if I placed the FB blanket too close to the chimney which does get extremely hot. here is a photo of it.

Greenman thanks for your response but even if its fully "cured" won't the Forno dome exterior still be very hot?

I'm just worried that when I do build the enclosure that the odor of the FB Blanket will penetrate through. Since it was a little windy yesterday it was very strong. Would you guys suggest taking the blanket off and seeing how the Forno performs under the next curing 800F just to see if there are cracks etc. (doesn't make sense that there will be any major cracks because inside the Forno the only thing i see are the modular joints and the two hairline cracks.)
              By the way how long did you guys cure for (once you hit the temperature then stop, let it burn off gradually or did you keep at that temperature for hours)
              Hi,

The oven will not be hot to the touch. The insulation serves two purposes.
              It helps with heat retention, so you will be very, very pleased with the oven's performance. It's really remarkable. And second the layers of insulation is what keep the fully assembled oven cool to to the touch, this applies to the insulation board as well, which serves the same purpose.

The smell you are referring to, could be the type of wood you are using or the vegetable-grease that is used on the dome during casting. The dome is greased to be able to release from the mold, and that might be the smell you a picking up. Once you fully assemble the oven, and cure it properly the smell will fade away.

Hairline cracks is something that can happen on occasion with brick ovens due to the expansion and contraction that results from thermal cycling. But it will not cause you any problems, either with how well your oven cooks or on its long-term durability. You can continue using your oven and not worry about this.

During the curing process you want to maintain the fire temperature of 300F throughout the day and as long as possible into the evening. And same applies to the following days, of course increasing the temperature.

Please be sure to let us know if anything changes, and we hope you continue to enjoy using your oven!

Comment

thanks for the reply

What i meant was that the Forno would be extremely hot to touch without the FB Blanket on. (i'm assuming that the outside dome temperature without the FB blanket should be close to the internal dome temp after a few hours) and thats why i figured that the dome external temp was very hot that the FB blanket first layer must also be warming up and i just thought thats where the smell was coming from. (heated FB Blanket)

question about the installation, since the Forno shipped with a single wall chimney would it be best to keep the FB blanket off of it or at least a few inches clear of the chimney?

also how have most of you finished the front of the modular forno? i never bought the optional arch so i'm thinking of covering the arch with the concrete board and then finishing it with some cultured rock or brick.
                any suggestions would be great.

started my enclosure build yesterday... slower then normal because i've never framed before so a bit nervous of screwing things up

thanks
                Peter

Comment

Ceramic Fiber blanket such as the FB blanket is entirely nonflamable. You could literally toss it into your fire and it shouldn't do anything. The stuff is designed to insulate components of blast furnaces and the like. If I recall correctly, the FB blanket is rated up to 2300F (even then I believe it would degrade, rather than burn). The flue gasses in your chimney won't get anywhere near that hot. You certainly don't need to keep the blanket back from the chimney. Indeed, some people have used extra pieces blankets to insulate their chimneys flues.
                  My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Thanks rsandler,

I'm thinking of at least covering the bottom part of the chimney with the blanket. don't have any left over, unless i find a local supplier that carries the product.
                    I'm also planning on topping up with Vermiculite when the enclosure is done. it seems like most are doing this?

Peter

Comment

No need to insulate the chimney, really--just pointing out that the blanket won't come to any harm in contact with it. Most people with an enclosure finish do fill it up with loose vermiculite/perlite. It's an easy way to get a little bit of additional insulation.
                      My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Working...
                      X