Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifting modular oven onto hearth any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting modular oven onto hearth any advice?

Reinforced stand is complete and I've taken delivery of a modular igloo dome which I plan to install onto firebrick hearth when the weather improves. My problem is the weight of the dome which is just two pieces. I don't think I can manoeuvre it onto the hearth by hand as it would be too awkward to get more than two people at it and it's too heavy for two to man handle. I thought of an engine hoist but don't think that the legs would open to 90 degrees to allow it to get close enough to the stand. Does anyone have any advice please? Access to the site is via narrow path so cranes are not an option...

Re: Lifting modular oven onto hearth any advice?

Don't drop it.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by RobDodds View Post
      ............ I thought of an engine hoist but don't think that the legs would open to 90 degrees to allow it to get close enough to the stand. Does anyone have any advice please? Access to the site is via narrow path so cranes are not an option...
      Build a temporary wooden base next to the oven base. You can build the wooden base with enough clearance for the engine hoist to go under. Place the halves on the temp, and then slide the halves over on to the permanent base. You can also use sections of pipe or wooden dowels to roll the halves from the temp over to the permanent stand. The dowels would also help in getting the sraps out from under the dome halves .
      Last edited by Gulf; 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Don't drop it was certainly something I had considered already... The wooden frame is a great idea and might fix another worry of how to avoid disturbing the firebrick hearth when putting the refractory dome onto it. It's not easy making these who's is it?

Comment

You can also use ice to lower the sections into place without damaging the bottom of the castings. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding some at this time of year, but you might have to wait a fair time for it to melt.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I came up with a simpler solution to the problem. I made a strong pallet which has hinged legs which swing down when picked IP. We managed to slide the dome onto the pallet and four strong people, (i.e. all of my family) carried it and rested it on the stand for the oven. We then used the forums idea of wooden dowels as rollers to slide the halves of the dome onto the cooking surface. Only problem was one pinched finger in the final alignment and as it was mine its OK.
            I now just need to join the two dome halves together. Should I be using homebrew for this? There's a small gap between the two vertical edges in places, maybe one eight of an inch. Should I be packing this with mortar or just coating the exterior with a thin skin of Homebrew mortar?

Comment

Which oven was it that you bought?

Comment

It was an eBay purchase from a company called UK outdoor living. It looks ok and is supposed to be refractory casting. Unfortunately I don't know how you can tell other than it doesn't fall to pieces under extreme heat. Got the first part of the flue installed tonight. I'm having to improvise with everything but so far everything is going together well.

Comment

I suppose I should post photos of the build. It might give help someone or more likely someone will tell me what mistake I've made.

Comment

Many would be interested to see your build. Most of us are not here to criticise but would gladly share what they know if you give them the chance.

Good luck with it and the pics would be useful.
                    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                    X