Securing Lathe to Insulation/Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Lathe to Insulation/Dome

Planning to do the scratch coat this weekend, any tricks to securing the lathe in place?

Re: Securing Lathe to Insulation/Dome

I used 1/2" square hardware cloth and found it pretty easy to get it to stay on the dome. I cut the cloth in to smaller pieces to work with and the cut edges tended to stick to each other well, I would bend them over each other in a few places as well.

Good luck with the scratch coat!

Comment

I used 1/2" hardware cloth, also. I did not secure the mesh directly to the insulation. I added a vcrete layer over it. But cutting and fitting the wire is probably about the same.

This link may help explain.

Also, the wire they use to secure the mesh in the roll makes great tie wire .
      Last edited by Gulf; 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I use thin wire ties embedded in the refractory, but another way to secure it is to hold it in place by tieing string around it. Where the string goes across the entry arch can be cut off later when you've worked over it and things have set.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Those small plastic zip ties work well. Quick and easy. No tools required, except a small pair of needle nose pliers in some places.
          Last edited by NCMan; 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM. Reason: Add text
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

We used stucco wire mesh but the softer/thinner grade wire. Drilled holes into the counter a d heart. Ran screws and wires all around to secure. Came out perfectly round and secure
            Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Working...
            X