new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

A cheap bi metal oven thermometer that has its own little stand, placed inside the oven, is another cheap and reliable alternative for roasting and baking temperatures. Semolina cast on the floor is a really good test for pizza temperature.
    Last edited by david s; 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hey guys,
      So took off the wrap this morning, let the moisture evaporate and I've been (trying) to light a small fire.
      Unfortunately it just seems to go out after 30 mins. I've had to re-light it three times now - though the last one went well until the small kindling burnt out and it seems the larger pieces didn't catch at all.
      Thank god for my blowtorch
      Can someone tell me if I am building the top-down stack wrong or something else?

Comment

Heh, it seems I spoke a minute too soon.
        I had loaded a heap of kindling and re-lit the fire again before coming and uploading those photos - just went back out and the fire is happily burning away now!
        So exciting seeing your first fire going properly

In other rather bad news, we were planning to do an extension to our house to accommodate our future family and unfortunately engineers report came back negative! Really bummed I've just finished the oven and we're going to have to move probably within this year.
        Hopefully I can get plenty of use from the oven before we move.

Never fear though, I will be doing a new WFO wherever it is we end up moving to

Comment

G'day
          What a bummer, having to move after all your work. A WFO a good selling point though . And with all you have learnt you'll be building the next one yourself I'd bet.
          Its not you fire making skills that are lacking its your oven is damp that's all. Build the fire on a little raft under the chimney and when its alight push it in. You'll find as it dries those fires will get hot real fast. If it were me I would be getting some charcoal heat beads in a big tin like a big baking dish with holes in it. Gives you heat without the flames which can cause uneven heating. Good thing is they go all day unattended and slowly dry things out.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Yeah the fire has been going pretty solid since then.

The wood has burned right down a couple of times but it is so easy to just chuck some more good sized pieces on and then give it some oxygen (whoever suggested a pipe to blow air onto the fire gets my biggest thanks) and the fire flares right back up again.

Temperatures at the moment are around 130-150c on the sides and around 250c on the ceiling.
            The outer dome top temperature is currently at 75c which is surprisingly warm.
            The dome is still all black so it hasn't cleared at all yet.

Comment

G'day
              The outer dome is warm to the touch because you dome is still wet and that insulation is full of steam. Remember drying fires not white dome fires. Above 100C you making steam better to back off and let that steam escape. Make to much to fast and its cracks for sure.
              One more thing is sure as it dries the fires get hotter per the same amount of wood this is the time to be careful the temperature can get away from you really fast.
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Yes right you are.
                I laid the tarp over the dome later in the afternoon as it was looking like it would rain.
                Luckily we only got a few drops but there was moisture condensing under the tarp and once I lifted it off the dome there was steam coming off the dome.
                Obviously a trial pizza cook won't be happening tomorrow as I know I still need a number of curing fires.
                I will have time to do at least 4 more fires of 4+ hours before I need to cook, so that should be enough to finish curing.
                Certainly going through the wood though!

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
                  ............. I know I still need a number of curing fires.
                  I will have time to do at least 4 more fires of 4+ hours before I need to cook, so that should be enough to finish curing.
                  Certainly going through the wood though!
                  Each time you stop and let it cool down, you are starting over from scratch. Instead of several more fires, why not try one long sustained fire. It wont take nearly as many total firing hours, and will use a heck of a lot less wood
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yeah I have been lighting them as long as possible.

I say 4+ hours as by the time I get home and light a fire it will be 5pm and then I need to let it go out by 9pm so I can cover the whole oven (and flue) by 9:30pm so I can go to bed.
                    I had it lit for at least 7 hours yesterday.

Comment

G'day
                      These intermediate showers are a pain.... You would never know when one will come along and spoil your efforts. If there was some way to loosely tarp that oven you could get some BBQ beads in there and they could heat that oven over the day. No flames to flare up best way of drying a wet oven that I know.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Last nights fire went well for a solid 4 hours.
                        We got a very brief rain which put some pressure on the fire but nothing serious.

Amazing to see with this second fire that already the top of the outer dome stayed cool to the touch - barely a temperature change. Big difference from the night before where it hit over 75c.

On a side note I am finding myself looking at what oven to buy for my new house when that happens (and will be happening very quickly).
                        There are a lot of kit options available now, including a new mob called Jalando pizza ovens. They seem very similar to the Mediterranean WFO's that also sell through Bunnings but priced a bit cheaper.
                        They skimp a bit on the insulation like most of these cheaper kits and use a blanket for under hearth instead of cal sil.
                        Then there is also this kit I've found on ebay that I liked:
                        Pizza Oven Dome Outdoor Woodfired Wood Fired DIY KIT Instructions Commercial | eBay
                        At least they appear to have decent insulation.
                        Lastly though there is Ben's kit that Liteceeper built which is a strong contender for its quality though it does use bricks rather than modular so a lot more work to build the dome.

Comment

G'day
                          Crazy to have someone talking about the next oven when they haven't pulled a feed out of there first, but there you go!
                          Those Mediterranean ovens sold by bunnings are reputed to be made in china. And I agree that using a piece of compressed ceramic blanket is a bit cheap. Those small bunnings ovens were $990 when I built mine but my build came in at $1200. But that with ceramic and firebrick... The rest is a bit recycled but the working parts are the best I could get.
                          You might too consider casting your own as well like Brissie did, your skills have come ahead and most importantly youhr not afraid to ask questions And... post what you have done.
                          Anyway get that puppy dry first then get it cooking so you'll have the alround experience and you know better what you'll want in the future.
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

I had a look at the one advertised on ebay, there was one at the place in Brisbane where I picked up the ceramic fibre insulation. To be perfectly honest I left happy with having built a brick dome and it worked out a lot cheaper. My 36" Pompeii set me back a lot less than that including the benches and cupboards, a roof over the top and quality S/S flue and cowl.

Were I do want to build another I would make some minor refinements but would still build from the same materials.

The six 12" pizza's at once might be a bit ambitious and you would be very busy if you could wrangle 6 at the one time!!

Looking forward to seeing the food from your present oven.
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Looks like Forno Bravo may be selling here in Australia through a distributor so that has me interested.
                              Ideally I'd like a Napoli style oven rather than a Tuscan.
                              Off to Melbourne for a week and when I get back I'll be cooking pizza!

Comment

Just got back from Melbourne last night and have been flat out and will continue to be until pizza night tomorrow I think.

Wanted to quickly post some pics.
                                We've plonked the benches down so you can see those now. Need to install bracket supports though.

Had a fire roaring all morning. Think I had a piece of overly moist wood or two which held it back a bit and got smokey but after that it really got going.

After a few hours the top of the dome cleared and maybe 30 mins later noticed the whole dome was pretty much cleared which is great.
                                Ceiling temps hit 650c with hearth and sides around the 400-450c.
                                Needless to say I think it's ready for cooking
                                No cracks or anything, outer dome still ambient temperature

Just spent over $100 on pizza ingredients and all my tools have arrived so here's hoping I can actually cook in it OK tomorrow night.

Comment

Working...
                                X