new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Hi Greenman thanks for your input. Your dome and bench meet together very neatly with those tiles. Looks great and very professional. You must have tiled to the insulation first and then render the dome oven the tiles to get it like that? (as dave suggested I do)

As for colour, I was thinking either sandstone or red coloured dome to match my block work or the red of the benchtops/pizza oven.
    Would be even better if I could do red with black on the dome which would like great along with the benchtops (maybe).
    I will post a picture tonight of the benchtops so you can guys see and give me some advice on what colour(s) to render the dome in - I don't think Grey will suit mine.

Dave - yeah I agree I think I will need to tile before I render the dome if I am going to get a nice finish. Unfortunately my front edge is a few cm too long to fit a single tile but I could maybe stagger those front blocks to fill in the space but that may look silly too - I am not sure.
    My other option is to render the dome and the concrete top all at the same time using the cement render and then painting it all together.
    What do you think will look better?

Also wondering how I should render around the front entry, whether I should do something like this:
    http://www.woodfiredovens.com.au/wp-...s/6z1b0074.jpg
    Or to just leave it so that pattern fa?ade on the oven is the only thing showing.

Comment

Here is one of the two granite bench tops to be installed.
      They are both the same.

Comment

G'day
        Be careful with to many colours. Best way to describe it is .. That if you use more than three you can get the " circus effect " that is a lot of competing different colours.
        The colours of your stands is one, it leads into the red of the bench tops ... Great.
        But if you were to go to another colour for that element that stands above the line of the other colours it would stand out like a sore thumb.
        If you keep that colour going with a bit of a change in tint ( addition of white) or tone ( addition of black ).
        Now in saying that, 17 per cent of males are colour blind .. Fact ... Trust me I have taught colour change/ dye classes and of the boys I know that 1 in 5 are giving me blank looks.... So if if you are worried ask the wife.
        In saying that Greenmans dome works well doesn't it. I would not have picked grey for the colour simply because it is to close to the colour of cement. But it works real well for a couple of reasons. Because it is both tint and tone ( white and black ) it tends to pick up the colour of the colour at it base so it never really clashes . Greenmans dome is as close to perfect in shape as you can get so you get it standing out as a strong upright element against the flat of the bench.
        Check out the pic of that oven in the link... The hearth is the same level as the surrounding tile! Shiny tiles on horizontal, flat finish on vertical dome. Crisp and clean?
        Anyway some ideas here for you to effect or reject...
        Regards dave
        Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-12-2014, 04:32 AM.
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Applor - I completed the dome, did the tiles and then put the finishing coat on the dome. The grout went up to the dome and I cut the final coat to that.

I have no experience of this stuff but a little care and some research will get the result.

I love that granite. Had a bit to do with it being cut in Far North Queensland years ago and it is truly one of natures beauties. Leaves marble standing in the shade.

The tiles were cut with the wet saw to fit the dome. Good luck with your build.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

That is some nice stone.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Dave - colours aside, my current design decision is how to finish the dome render along the front.
              I see the majority of people here have an oven with large bricks framing the entry.
              This allows you to simply render up to the back of the bricks and finish the render there and it looks great (such as Greenman's - Daves is a bit different in that you have bricked the entire oven).
              Unfortunately with this oven it already has a large, pattern entry that is one piece with no 'back' for me to finish my render against.
              I can either lay a row of bricks all the way around the front edge of the entry so that my render can stop at the back of the bricks, or I can extend the outer edge using the render as shown in that picture I linked.
              Lastly I can just taper the render off to the edge of the entrance.

I don't really want to have to lay a row of bricks but the other two options using render I think will be difficult to get a nice neat finish.
              I highly doubt I have the skills/ability to get a nice flat edged render finish as shown in that picture, unless I pay a professional (which I would be OK with depending on price).

I hope I am making sense here and you guys understand what I am talking about.

Given the oven shape/style, which of those 3 options would you go with? Or suggest an alternative?
              Last edited by applor; 03-12-2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

G'day
                You could achieve the result shown in you link .... Easy!
                The front piece of your oven is flat great. Take a piece of 12 mm ply cut it oversize by the amount of thickness you require. Fit to the front of the oven, centre it up and sandbag in position so it doesn't move. Cut the insulation back from this so the render can fill the front. Render up to the board and because is oversize by the thickness you require you just level to the edge of the board. Perfect thickness and straight edges.
                By the way with the oven in your link that might not be render either as the final coat. I helped with pearlite/cement on an oveni and to finish the surface we just tapped the surface with the flat of a trowel. It made it easier to get a smooth lump free surface and left a soft textured finish which was painted only.
                Don't use a gloss paint, use a flat paint, it softens the surface a gloss only shows up the imperfections
                On the tiles . They aren't wide enough and leave you with a small slither cut the tiles down so you can get the tile gape where it looks best . Cut up a cardboard box into tiles sizes and see what works best. A cheap tile cutter will last long enough for the tiles you need.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

G'day
                  Just noticed a new pic at the top of the forum . Nice oven real clean lines . Noticed some cardboard on the tiles then the render was done over that. Pull the cardboard out. Clean tiles and you then have the gape to put a bead of waterproof gape sealer in. How easy is that!! I like that idea.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Yeah that oven does look great and a good idea - might have to do the same

As for my oven and the entry area, that is also what I was thinking on how to do the render around the entrance and so obviously you think this style would look the best for my oven?
                    I guess then this weekend will be insulation + chicken wire.
                    Following weekend will be tiling + mortar front bricks
                    And then it will be dome render.
                    Give it a few weeks and I can then paint the dome and seal the tiles.

Comment

G'day
                      Not really sure what you want your oven to look like .... But your pic was quite a nice oven. My own was a dome with a box stuck on the front, lack of funds slowed me down at first. Smashed my hand and that put a moka on things for a while there too. Brought a short handle axe that I could use one handed and kept cooking though.
                      One thing that I've thought of is that if the face piece of the oven is not flat enough and that would be a disaster if the cement bleed through. I recon I'd get some blue tack and roll it into a thin strip and run it around the entrance . That should provide a waterproof seal that easy to remove later.
                      I'd be thinking about curing the oven too. I know it was cured before but its been moved and reconfigured. Recon you could get a light in there to make sure its dry before you put the insulation in place . Once that's in place you could start with charcoal beads and real flame. A read of curing your oven section wouldn't go astray about now.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Good tip on sealing the front, thanks. Seems the previous owner used a silicon sealant around the edges. Could use a clean up and then maybe a coat of paint to bring out that texture.

I spent some time in the cool morning to do my first insulation layer. Pics attached.
                        I wanted to start with the 50mm blanket and did the dome. I actually used the entire blanket supply to cover the dome!
                        Really happy I bought that box of 25mm as well as this will give me enough for a 2nd layer on the dome and 2x 25mm layers on the front entry.
                        Working with the blanket isn't too bad to be honest. Cuts and moulds well enough.
                        Unfortunately tho its hot as hell in my protective onesie, soaked through after the 30 mins or so I spent shaping/cutting.
                        This afternoon when I have shade I will do the 25mm layer and tie it down with the wire, then maybe do the chicken mesh tomorrow morning.

Comment

G'day
                          That's a great job on the insulation.... Very neat, you must be pleased.
                          You must post a comment on any differences you found in working with the 50mm and the 25mm insulation. Not many would have experience with both thicknesses. Are you really going to bother with the pearlite/cement layer? 50 mm is standard for ceramic and 100 mm for pearlite/cement. Your over that now by 1/2 again. You could go strait to render coat saving yourself all the drying time with the pearlite/cement which is measured in many weeks till dry enough to render. My own is 50 mm of ceramic and 100 mm of rockwool literally rendered the next day.
                          That entrance piece, in my opinion looks pretty good unpainted, personally I wouldn't paint it. I would wire brush clean then seal it with a clay pot sealer to stop it taking up moisture. But that really up to you, and what" she who must be obeyed wants"
                          Have fun with the bird wire, the only thing that I can think off that might be helpfull is if its a bit baggy in spots grab pieces of wire with you pliers and twist sideways. Don't go to fussy and go super tight need it for next layer to key into
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Thanks for the compliment.
                            I am happy enough with it. Could be neater but they all fit well enough - I am happy I had just enough to finish with the 50mm.

Well the pearlite cement layer is my render layer really, as it will painted to waterproof it after and then it's done.
                            When you say a render only coat - do you mean just cement without the perlite?
                            Good idea about clay pot sealer too, I will do that and for the entry landing too I think.

Comment

Did the second layer with the 25mm. Didn't really find it much different to work with compared to the 50mm to be honest. Less to cut through of course but being lighter it doesn't sit down as heavily too.
                              I do have a bit of 25mm leftover, a couple metres maybe.

I tied it down with wire and had planned to do the wire mesh but then forgot I hadn't applied the rigidizer - by the time I applied that it was getting dark and late so decided to leave that for the morning.
                              I actually did all the wire ties after I had laid both layers. The blanket seemed to stay down well enough and it would have been awkward tying and then removing and re-tying etc. I am happy with how it has turned out and have no doubts that it will work fine - though it does not look as neat and tidy as others on this forum.

Also included a photo with the lighting system I setup for the area. 4 lights - one each for the two benches, one for the oven and one for the BBQ

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
                                Thanks for the compliment.
                                I am happy enough with it. Could be neater but they all fit well enough - I am happy I had just enough to finish with the 50mm.

Well the pearlite cement layer is my render layer really, as it will painted to waterproof it after and then it's done.
                                When you say a render only coat - do you mean just cement without the perlite?
                                Good idea about clay pot sealer too, I will do that and for the entry landing too I think.
                                Hi Applor
                                Good job on your insulation, see PM's a bit late though.
                                I believe you need to apply a cement render over your perlite render once that is complete as it is fairly coarse.
                                I intend to use DryPak Render coat (about 5mm thick) over my pearlite insulation and then paint with Dulux Acratex once I finish the surrounding benchtops.
                                Interested to know what others think?
                                Liteceeper
                                ~~~~~~~
                                My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
                                My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X