Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa2g90 Spanning opening of oven with angle Iron

Hello,

I am working on my stand and could not fin 3/8 in angle iron anywhere so I went with the 1/8 inch thick angle iron which was the thickest I could find. After worrying about this as the instructions say to use 3/8, I installed three 1/2 inch rebar across the span almost the entire width of the stand. Could someone put my concerns to rest that this is sturdy enough or should I do more? Pictures attached

My stand width is 58 inches and depth is 68. I am installing a casag90

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	320480

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	320481

Re: Casa2g90 Spanning opening of oven with angle Iron

I'm not an engineer but I think with the rebar, you're good to go. I have a Casa2g90 built from the FB kit on a similar sized (mine is 55X68) stand. When the top slab is added, this should help distribute the weight. Good luck with your build, I'm sure some others with more experience will chime in. BTW, I think the angle iron I used was 1/4" and I didn't add rebar.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I am a newbie at masonry so any feedback is helpful.

One other option I thought was maybe to add angle irons across the top right before I pore the slab for extra strength on that span for the slab.

Comment

IMHO, the rebar under the block isn't going to add much strength. I would purchase concrete blocks cast as intended to be used as lintels. You can also cut out the ends of the blocks which go across the steel angles (plus one block on each end), close up the bottom of the concrete blocks with plywood, pour the blocks full of concrete and float two rebar about two inches apart and two inches from the bottom and float two rebar about two inches apart and two inches from the top. The rebar will give the concrete lintel additional strength when cast into the block, not under the block. For simplicity sake, I would make the lintel go the entire 58 inch width.
        jon
        jon

Comment

Myself and several others have done away with block across the opening. It is real easy to build a form and pour that lintel monolithic with the hearth slab. It is only just a little more difficult to convert that same form into an arch. An arch gives you a little more head room to access the area under the oven .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks guys, I purchased 1/4 angle iron and am reengineering this as I have time. I'll share photos after I am done.

Comment

H Andrew,
              I would still use the reinforcing rods but I would separate them rather than have them butting each other, I would also cut down the adjoining ends (and central dividing section) of the blocks above the opening, lay a couple of other rebars in their depression and fill with a slightly higher concentration of portland concrete. This will make it very strong, as many garage and double workshop lintels are made using this method.
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

The usual method is to buy knock out blocks or bond beam blocks that don't require any cutting, just lay your rebar straight in.

It's probably time the plans had a serious rewrite.
                Last edited by david s; 04-30-2014, 05:16 AM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Lintel blocks work, beam blocks work, or use a masonry blade and take out the portion of block that's not needed and use thin sheet metal to keep the wet mud in the cells until dried.. If I had to do ours over I'd do a monolithic slab/lintel. But angle iron/rebar/concrete works as well.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the information everyone. I was able to find 1/4 inch angle iron. Which is slightly less than spec but to me fully sufficient. I also drilled holes through each block across the span and have two 1/2 inch rebars. I will also pour concrete into each block across the span. Should be bomb proof.

Comment

Working...
                    X