Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco Igloo or Gabled House

Hi all,

I am at a point where I need to choose my enclosure and and debating whether to go with the stucco igloo style or the fully enclosed style. I really like the igloo but have heard that the stucco regularly cracks and the insulation gets wet if it rains causing lots of issues. The recommendation I am getting from my local brick yard where i get material is to fully enclose and weather proof the oven.

Any feedback from anyone on the pros and cons?

If I put vermicrete before stuccoing around the insulation blanket am I okay with a stucco igloo? or is cracking unpreventable.

Thanks

Re: Stucco Igloo or Gabled House

I debated the same thing and went with the gabled roof. Just one less thing to worry about. Gabled roof also allows you to dress it up with some lights (see pic).

Comment

I am who you spoke to at MPI, I would imagine, Andrew.

Here is mine:

Tom's Outdoor Kitchen

Comment

Look at Gulf's build an igloo under a roof.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I did a stucco oven but then covered it with 2" mosaic tiles using epoxy grout, then sealed. So far, so good!

Comment

G'day
            I 1/2 bricked over my dome at first for the esthetics, I just out and out like the look of a brick dome. I found out very quickly that it improved the wheather resistance of the dome a lot. I live in the sub tropics and when it rains it really rains! I now now why so many of the British do this to their ovens it would be a must in there climate if they were building in the open.
            Regards dave
            PS add an entrance waterproof door to keep the entrance hearth dry and a chimney cover to complete the wheather resistance package
            Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM.
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Here is the best reason for a house instead of an igloo:

I fired my oven last Sunday. I checked this morning and it was 93 degrees. Ambient has been 40-85 degrees this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Here is the best reason for a house instead of an igloo:

I fired my oven last Sunday. I checked this morning and it was 93 degrees. Ambient has been 40-85 degrees this week.
                Tom,
                Doesn't heat holding capacity have more to do with thermal mass of the floor and dome in combination with insulation rather than the kind of roof over the oven?
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

No, I would say it has more to do with the amount of insulation. My oven vault is 3" thick, the floor is 2.5 inch, 22x36, so it is a very small mass compared to a normal Pompeii, but there is 24 CuFt of loose-fill perlite around it and 4" of perlcrete under it. The chimney and entry are insulated as well as isolated.
                  Last edited by Tscarborough; 05-17-2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Oh ok so what you mean is that a dog kennel style will hold more insulation than you'd get if you build an igloo?
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Exactly. I really like the look of igloo ovens, and my next one will be an igloo under a cover, but the house does allow you to insulate it heavily.

Comment

I went with an enclosed oven, which better fit with the rest of the outdoor cooking area. For some reason, I can't post pictures at work, but check out my link below for images.
                        My build:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/d...ild-20119.html

Comment

Not to mention that an enclosure is superior for weather protection.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

I went with a house too, due to weather concerns + the advantage of having lights in the eaves. I am sure an igloo can be made weather tight, but the biggest issue is probably builder skill and familiarity with proper sheathing, flashing, etc. The job needs to be done right to keep water from entering at the hearth. Seems like every year there are a couple of posters asking how to dry out their ovens after the winter, and they usually have igloos.
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                              the house does allow you to insulate it heavily.
                              And you can use loose perlite, which has to be just a little better than perlcrete for insulation, I would expect.

Comment

Working...
                              X