Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with modular oven - decorative arch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with modular oven - decorative arch.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    To be clear, I'm not trying to reengineer your design...your happy with it and it works for you.

As far as flaring the base. The only thing that changes is the plane of the outer face on the arch, not the back...so you're not losing the expansion gap.
    With the outer face of the arch vertical, that then creates an unacceptably large gap at the top, through which the vermicrete will fall, but thanks for the suggestion.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about, the gap wouldn't change at all.

But in the interest of the discussion, not to change your mind, I'll sketch up something and post it later...we are almost back from our road trip.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        I don't think you understand what I'm talking about, the gap wouldn't change at all.

But in the interest of the discussion, not to change your mind, I'll sketch up something and post it later...we are almost back from our road trip.

Maintaining a constant expansion gap, as in diag. A results in outer face of the arch no longer being vertical.
        Making base wider for added stability, as in diag. B eliminates the gap at the bottom and/or increases the gap at the top.
        The third solution, my current build, is to leave the arch a consistent thickness with the expansion gap the same all the way around.
        Is there a fourth option without altering the design and the moulds of the flue gallery?
        Last edited by david s; 05-25-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          Maintaining a constant expansion gap, as in diag. A results in outer face of the arch no longer being vertical.
          Making base wider for added stability, as in diag. B eliminates the gap at the bottom and/or increases the gap at the top.
          The third solution, my current build, is to leave the arch a consistent thickness with the expansion gap the same all the way around.
          Is there a fourth option without altering the design and the moulds of the flue gallery?
          Option A is what I'm talking about...like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	304576

If the thickness on the front plane is increased by an inch would be enough to keep it from being tippy. And you would probably start the flare on the bottom third of the abutment.

Option B? Never even close...it makes no sense if you want to maintain a consistent gap between the oven and arch. And, it's not necessary to widen both planes for stability.

As for your current method, I'm not trying to criticize it, and as it was said, tying it with wire is working for you.

Personally, I try to avoid embedding metal in masonry, even stainless steel. And in most cases there are alternative methods to accomplish the end goal. That's why I put that idea forward, not because I think wire ties don't work.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Yes, that would work, but in my design I don't have room to make the decorative arch any wider at the base without making a new mould for the supporting slab. Also it would result in not having a flat surface for the front of the arch making terrazzo finishes impossible and mosaic finishes more difficult. Apart from its odd appearance that I wouldn't be keen on, a definite possibility otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Yes, that would work, but in my design I don't have room to make the decorative arch any wider at the base without making a new mould for the supporting slab. Also it would result in not having a flat surface for the front of the arch making terrazzo finishes impossible and mosaic finishes more difficult. Apart from its odd appearance that I wouldn't be keen on, a definite possibility otherwise.
              IMO, the aesthetic quality is all perspective.

Personally, I like seeing more detail than a flat face on an arch abutment, if it's a segmental arch. It's a common architectural feature to bump out the base (like a plinth or buttress) especially in masonry structures.

As far as the difficulty of applying mosaic tile, I'll disagree with you there..having experience with installing it on a variety of surfaces. Thats the beauty of using mosaic tile, it conforms to convex or concave surfaces relatively easy, even for novice tile setters.

Taste in finishes is as individual as people.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
              X