Refractory Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory Mortar

The Forno Bravo mortar I had come with my kit sat too long and ended up becoming hard as a brick. Ive seen different high temperature refractory mortar available however im not sure what is best for sealing the dome. Ive heard from one masonry supply store that a product called "Heat stop 50" is what they widely recommend for non-masons because its premixed and easy. The Forno Bravo instructions say to use a 3/4" bead of mortar yet with other products ive been told you want to use as thin a butter coat as possible. So now im confused on what is the best refractory mortar and the right amount.
    Thoughts? Suggestions? experience? Lessons learned?

Re: Refractory Mortar

From what I understood, sealing the dome wasn't necessary anyways.
    I didn't seal my last modular oven.

Comment

So long as it laps, it doesn't have to be sealed, and if it is, it will crack (the mortar joint) anyway.

Comment

If you want to mortar it, HS50 will work fine. You can get it at Mutual Materials in Bellevue, next to the Uwajimaya.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I picked up 3 pails of Heat Stop 50 at Mutual Materials. Ive sealed all the seams and plan to use the same mortar when putting the base plate of the chimney on the dome. Progress!!!

Comment

Working...
          X