Oven Floor - To mortar or not to Mortar - that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Floor - To mortar or not to Mortar - that is the question

I am replacing a cracking clay cooking floor with a 4 piece ( wedge cut) better quality kiln fired floor tiles .
    The company sent me mortar to mortar the new floor tiles . However since I am replacing in an already built oven I anticipate already some challenges moving things around so I am wondering if sand might be better to give me more leveling flexibility. Plus I am not sure why they would need to be mortared anyway because they are large heavy floor pieces and I thought you want the expansion option ??
    The existing floor ties were mortared.
    Under the floor tiles is ~ 1.5 inch refractory mix bottom and then this sits on 2" insulation silica board.
    any advice would be welcome.
    Kevin

Re: Oven Floor - To mortar or not to Mortar - that is the question

If the surface you are placing the new tiles over is good and flat and the tiles are of an even thickness then you may not need anything under them. The usual leveling mix is 50/50 sand and clay either wet or dry. Using just sand is not so good as it can act as an insulating layer between your floor tile and the refractory. Clay being much finer than sand will fill in the spaces between the sand therefore giving you a denser and better conducting material.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David,
      I am sure the surface will not be completely smooth because I am prying out old mortared tiles - and I am reaching inside the oven to do it .
      Could I just mix some of the refractory mortar they sent me ( two bags) with some sand ( or not) and use it dry without mixing the mortar ?

Comment

Originally posted by kmcquade View Post
        Thanks David,
        I am sure the surface will not be completely smooth because I am prying out old mortared tiles - and I am reaching inside the oven to do it .
        Could I just mix some of the refractory mortar they sent me ( two bags) with some sand ( or not) and use it dry without mixing the mortar ?
        Yes, that should work ok.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

When i am to this step i plan to use chamotte with high aluminate cement but in ratio 5:1 or 6:1.

Comment

After reading many suggestions finally i will not use mortar to the floor plates.
            Many members used sand and clay,but i have only chamotte and sand.
            Can i use chamotte powder only?It is finer than sand.
            Or i must put and sand?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by George_M View Post
              After reading many suggestions finally i will not use mortar to the floor plates.
              Many members used sand and clay,but i have only chamotte and sand.
              Can i use chamotte powder only?It is finer than sand.
              Or i must put and sand?
              Thanks
              Either one or the other or a mix of the two would work fine for George. Your perlcrete layer looks level so I don't think it will take much to make your floor bricks level.
              Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
              40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Yes,i level it.
                Thanks Tony, and merry christmas to all members!

Comment

Working...
                X