Insulating questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating questions

We are insulating our INDOOR pizza oven and do not want to use vermiculite. The first 2 photos show 3 layers of the ceramic blanket that came with the Forno Bravo Oven. The next 2 photos are pictures of additional insulation that we put around the oven. My question is 3 fold. First, is 3 layers of the blanket enough? Second, is it good/bad to insulate around the chimney, and third, is it good/bad to use this additional insulation (r-30 I think...leftover from house construction). thx for any help

Re: Insulating questions

Hi smpomerleau,
    I have finished my Pompeii and used one layer of 'Superwool', the equivalent in Australia to what you are using, together with 3 x 1" layers of vermiculite capped with a thin layer of stucco render.
    When the oven is 500?C, there is no heat what so ever from the outside of the dome. With the superwool reputely worth the equivalent of 2" of vermiculte, your 3" of insulation would be the equivalent of 6" vermiculitr or with my combination, the 1" wool and an extra layer of vermiculite.
    They say that you cannot over insulate your ovens, but you only need enough to hold in the heat inside and within the dome and more will do nothing but cost you. By all means, use your fibreglass bats left over as it can do no harm, but will do nothing if your ceramic blanket is doing it's job properly.
    To reduce heat from entering your kitchen (it looks like it is an inside installation), I would most certainly insulate your chimney. It is no different than a slow combustion heater installation but they are installed and used in cold weather to heat the room(s). Your oven would also be used in summer months when the heat radiated from the chimney would make the area unbearable and this would reduce the usefulness of the oven.
    Hope this helps you decide and good cooking.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by smpomerleau View Post
      <snip>.... is it good/bad to insulate around the chimney ....<snip>
      Unless it is a double walled chimney, I would insulate it.

J W

BTW, where in OC are you - I am in east Orange.

Comment

I'm with JW,

If you are using the good Durvent, you don't have to insulate the chimney. Follow the installation instructions on setbacks from combustibles, and it is good stuff. Never hot on the outside. If not, then definitely yes on the insulation.

3" of Insulfrax will do the trick -- holding in your heat and keeping the exterior of the oven from getting hot. Still, make sure you don't have any combustibles facing into the oven chamber. Your installation looks like metal studs and hardibacker -- but it's worth saying again.

Looking good.

James
        Last edited by james; 08-22-2007, 11:35 AM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks for all your input. We are using Duravent Chimney $$$ and also using metal studs and hardibacker. We made our first 2 fires, and will be closing the walls soon...

Will send photos of the first pizza.

Comment

Looking good. Great food awaits. :-)
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Um, check with the manufacturer. I've read in a few places that some metal chimneys should not be insulated. Dunno the particulars on that or if it even applies here.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X