Casa 110 floor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa 110 floor issue

I have been using a Casa 110 for about 2 years now, and am extremely happy with it. I can be cooking in an hour with it, and if I crank it for two hours I can cook a Neapolitan pizza in under a minute.

One of the four modular floor slabs, however, is about 1/8 inch higher than the others. This is not generally a problem, because I usually brush the fire to one side and cook on the other. However, I would like to correct the problem.

The solution I am thinking about is using a belt sander to sand off that pesky 1/8 inch. Is this a wacky idea?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Casa 110 floor issue

Not a wacky idea at all. Although I am not sure that you can easily find belts that will hold up to the punishment of the floor.

Looking forward to your progress reports.

J W

Comment

Not sure about how tough the castable refractory is, but a belt sander has worked great for several of us in smoothing our firebrick hearths. I would give it a try.....Remember - A GOOD dust mask and safety glasses, do not attempt without both.

RT

Comment

4" Angle grinder, diamond blade...done

Thought about this a bit more: Likewise you can buy a masonry grinding wheel for the grinder that will allow you to hold it flat like you were buffing out a car but this will take much longer. Better to get the high spots with the diamond "dry blade" they are NOT the same as a wet blade. While working in the chamber if you have a shop vac putting the hose in the chamber will pull out much of the dust otherwise you will not be able to see your work. This is not a substitute for a dust mask and good tight fitting goggles. Goggles are better choice for this situation because the dust gets behind the glasses, into your eyes and you will not be able to see. Its gets everywhere. When we do enclosed grinding we have an attachment for the shop vac that attaches to the grinder. When this is not possible to use a helper holds the hose right by the blade this eliminates almost all the dust and you can see your work as well as eliminates the need to bid a maid service to come in and dust the customers house ofter the job..
        Last edited by Unofornaio; 10-02-2007, 12:07 PM. Reason: NOYB
        http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Just be careful if you go the route of using an angle grinder. Squeezing into the opening and contolling a grinder could be tricky - you could gouge or leave deeper swirl marks than you intended. A belt sander may not be as efficient, but the flat sole and more evenly dispersed sanding action would help you avoid an oooops. Just a thought.

RT

Comment

Working...
          X