Artigiano 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Artigiano 120

It's looking great James - whats the purpose of the jack, it looks like its only supporting 2 bricks at best. Was the dome pretty much fused together at that point? Nice looking hearth, I think you have done this before.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why not give it a couple days dry time? An arch (okay, dome) should be able to stand without it - but the poor thing has already been fractured once, why not let it take a breather?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Lack of patience???

My favorite saying is "patience is a virtue; that I don't have." :-) My thinking is that the Refmix dries very quickly (it has rapid setting agent), so it is going to be as good at it gets by tomorrow. At least that's how I am rationalizing it to myself.

Les, that jack is right on the point where three big sections were sagging. I jacked it up a little in the back, and just that one section raised up, and the other two stayed down. This seems to be the big intersection that caught all three.

I'm nervous.
        James
        Last edited by james; 10-17-2007, 05:54 PM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One more photo. Here are the supports I used to hold the front arch in place when it dried overnight, last night.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One more thing. I looked at the photos of the inside of the oven, and went back to clean up the extra mortar before it cured.

We'll see what we see in the morning.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Great looking stand! I like the curved cantilever in the front . That oven will be cooking in no time. It's amazing how fast you can get (even a broken) pre-made oven set up and running.

I really appreciate you posting the pics of the interior of the Artigiano. After laying several courses on my dome, I was starting to get a bit bummed out at the width of my interior mortar joints. I notice with the Artigiano, that mortar joints on the inside of the dome are "OK"!

Beautiful brickwork on that thing.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hey Ken,

That's a good point. This seems to be one of those "multiple good solution" things. One school of thought is to have very tight brick joints on the inside edges of the oven, where the theory is that the firebricks are better equipped to handle the heat. The Artigiano oven, and another nice oven I have seen made in Puglia, have a wider joint.

One thing to note is that if you go for the wider joint, you should consider using a true refractory mortar. The mortar in the Artigiano oven is extremely hard. I have seen bags of Refmix at the Artigiano workshop, though I have to guess that they mix their own. I hit the mortar with a hammer today, and it's as hard a rock.

Ken, your oven is beautiful. Keep it up.
                James
                Last edited by james; 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM.
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                  One thing to note is that if you go for the wider joint, you should consider using a true refractory mortar.
                  I didn't exactly choose to "go for the wider joint" Just sort of happened while learning about brick geometry and wet saws. I'm using HeatStop50. I hope that is considered a true refractory mortar.

I'm enjoying watching your progress with the crippled Artigiano. I would enjoy that kind of project.

Thanks for the compliments.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Nice patching work James! This oven has character!!
                    Drake
                    My Oven Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

One more thing. I looked at the photos of the inside of the oven, and went back to clean up the extra mortar before it cured.
                      James
                      Yeah.... I always see more mortar in the pictures than in real life...

Wuzzup with that?

Looking good James, I can't wait to see it fired up!
                      And holy molly! that thing was busted up bad!
                      My thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                      My costs:
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                      My pics:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Thanks Dave. Drew, I like that. It has character. :-) It will never be perfect again, but hey, we like it that way.

I took the jack out, and so far, so good. Next step, vent and curing. The curing will tell me whether the cracks will stay the same, or get bigger. Life's one big experiment.

Ken, your heat stop will be fine. Sorry we didn't get you Refmix. :-)
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One thing to note is that if you go for the wider joint, you should consider using a true refractory mortar.
                          Perhaps wise also to check the specs of the mortar with the manufacturer regarding joint width. For example, I have two (air-set) refractory mortars at my disposal - one which should not exceed 2mm thickness, and the other where wider joints are not an issue.
                          Paul.
                          Last edited by Hendo; 10-17-2007, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Lack of patience???

My favorite saying is "patience is a virtual; that I don't have." :-) My thinking is that the Refmix dries very quickly (it has rapid setting agent), so it is going to be as good at it gets by tomorrow. At least that's how I am rationalizing it to myself.

<insert rolling on the ground laughing smilie here>

You sooo need custom smilies..
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

The dome is looking good, and the jack is back in the car (good thing I didn't have a flat). I went back inside the oven today and smoothed out all the mortar patches. The oven is big, and I had to climb all the way in just to reach the back and top. It must have looked pretty funny; a brick oven with two feet sticking out. I could just slide in and out.

It was all I could do to not light the first fire, but I will start curing tomorrow.

Next up, the vent/arch design, and decorative stone for the stand. I am leaning toward stone on the bottom and stucco on an Igloo. The vent arch is still up for grabs.

I will post a few potential design ideas tomorrow.

And the first fire!
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

The dome is looking good, and the jack is back in the car (good thing I didn't have a flat). I went back inside the oven today and smoothed out all the mortar patches. The oven is big, and I had to climb all the way in just to reach the back and top. It must have looked pretty funny; a brick oven with two feet sticking out. I could just slide in and out.

It was all I could do to not light the first fire, but I will start curing tomorrow.

Next up, the vent/arch design, and decorative stone for the stand. I am leaning toward stone on the bottom and stucco on an Igloo. The vent arch is still up for grabs.

I will post a few potential design ideas tomorrow.

And the first fire!
                                James
                                Admit it - you stuck a lit match in there for a few seconds, didn't you?

Now, what was all that noise about 'wait a week before the first curing fire'?

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X