Artigiano 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artigiano 120

I think this is like the story of the cobbler's kids shoes. On a rare ocassion, the freight company drops a crate with one of our ovens. This poor oven was dropped, and despite our heavy crate, there are some major cracks, and about 10 bricks broke away and fell out of the dome. The poor guy.

That's the bad news. The good news is that it's at my house, and I'm going to repair it, and with a little luck -- it's going to be work out. I have to jack up the dome, do the repairs, and let is come back down to rest. Hey, this is a great oven.

One interesting side note is that seeing the damage, I have had a real insider's view into the guts of the Artigiano. The frame, bricks, mortars, etc. It's really well made.

I will let you know how it goes -- and I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to firing the guy up.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Artigiano 120

47 1/4 " is a big oven. You'll be able to entertain the neighborhood!
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Exactly. I was thinking of starting up a take out pizzeria for the neighborhood.

Can't wait.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

How much does that thing weigh?
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Better include some pics too James.
          I guess it's pretty good when you get damaged goods from the insurance co. and then albeit repaired, put it to good use.
          Been there, done that when my brother was manager of a farm warehouse and got a dropped lathe.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hey Dave,

The whole oven weighs about 750 lbs, though I have never checked the weight of the oven and the floor. At this size, the floor comes in eight pieces, which are easy to move around. The dome isn't too difficult to move around. We've had owners move them using the metal handles, and by sliding 2x4's under the dome frame. The oven dome itself it built on a nice welded metal frame, so that it can to be transported.

For example, I was scoping out my repairs and could lift one edge by myself.

James
            Last edited by james; 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Neill,

The insurance company is not our friend. According to them, they've never, ever, dropped a crate. :-)

I will definitely take photos.

Another fun aside. The company that is doing the tile work on our house thinks the oven is the coolest thing they've ever seen. They have jumped at the chance to help with the installation (and oven repair?) and they want to become certified installers for our area.

It's a small world.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James.
                as they say, every problem has a silver lining. Who knows, your tilers may be a very good asset to you and FB.
                Just got out of the hospital after 2 days in there with a seriously infected thumb. Didn't go to theatre but have been on 2 doses of very serious intravenous antibiotics. On the mend hopefully. Had to cancel the family pizza cookup today to next sunday.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Feel better soon.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

I am getting ready to start my Artigiano 120 installation, and I've decided to try something different with the stand. I always think it's good for me to experiement and be the guinnea pig.

I'm thinking of using four courses of block, shaped as a U, without the return or the angle iron course of block in the front. To compensate to carry the weight, I am planning on pouring a 5 1/2" (2x6) slab, with rebar support. SuperIsol on top of that and the Artigiano on top of that.

In the wider opening into the wood storage, I am thinking of building a decorative stone arch, using the stone I took out of the fireplace surround in the house.

What do you think? 5 1/2" of concrete and rebar should safely span the 40" opening. Right?
                    James
                    Last edited by james; 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM.
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi James, I leave it to the engineers, but I think it will work. Recently discussed here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...tion-2718.html

Drake
                      My Oven Thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I see 2 options:

1. 40" 4" is still fine with no under support using 1/2" rebar. If you are hesitant you could add a piece of 3 x 3 angle iron placed in the front of the form then pour on this. So looking at the face of the hearth slab you would see 1" of concrete and 3" of steel, in addition to rebar of course. But the angle Iron is really not necessary, 4" over 40" plenty even with a full brick surround and roof.
                        2. Build the stone arch then pour the slab so it rests on the stone. If its real stone its going to have structural support. Even if it was as thick as brick it will provide support.

I would do the arch first its going to be much easier to lay the stone without the slab in the way. When it comes time to pour the slab just drape a layer of plastic over the arch and build your forms over this.
                        http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I agree. I think there is a lot to be said for building up your facing, if it's a full wythe thick, up above the slab, and using that as the edge forms for the hearth slab pour. I think it forms one solid unit and makes the whole thing that much stronger.

My example:

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

We're off and running. I built the stand and hearth yesterday, set and leveled the floor and then set the dome. That's the good news. The oven is pretty cracked, but I am optimistic. I found an intersection where three cracks meet, and used a car jack to raise it up to its original height, and I've started to process of replacing the bricks that fell out, and patching the cracks.

I can definitely say this. Refmix is great stuff. Easy to work with and it sets as hard as a rock. I can also say that the Artigiano is a wonderful oven. I am getting up close and personal with this oven, and I respect the workmanship all the more.

Here are my first photos -- including the damage. More to come.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Day 2.

It's a good thing we have Refmix. I was able to cut bricks to be pretty close to the originals and set them with Refmix. Then, I went over the entire left half of the dome with a cover coating, so basically, the whole thing will hopefully be held together with Refmix.

I decided to patch the oven with red clay bricks. This should make for an interesting experiment with seeing how the clay bricks and firebricks behave, side by side, over time.

I used regular mason's mortar for the arch, to see if I could color match the exsting mortar. It's close -- sort of.

Tomorrrow morning I will be lowering the car jack. If you hear a loud scream at 9AM PST coming from California, you will know that it fell back in.

Wish me luck.
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X