Insulating Forno Bravo Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating Forno Bravo Door

I have a Casa 100 oven and was wondering what are people's thoughts on insulating the oven door. I was thinking of screwing on some kind of material or insulating board to the door for further heat retention. Anyone's suggestions or experiences?

Re: Insulating Forno Bravo Door

I don't have a FB door, but my door design was "inspired" by it. I did exactly as you suggested and am very pleased with the results.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/k...door-3118.html
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Ken.....where did you purchase the Kaowool? And I assuming that is the expanded metal sheet on the inside of the door.

Comment

Originally posted by dalucca2003 View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply Ken.....where did you purchase the Kaowool? And I assuming that is the expanded metal sheet on the inside of the door.
        Yes, the expanded metal is on the inside of the door. The Kaowool board was left over from my hearth. I would use Forno Bravo board instead of Kaowool if possible. The Kaowool turns to mush when it gets wet.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I knew I should have kept that left over piece of SuperIsol. Anyone have any left over they are willing to get rid of my way?

Comment

I don't have any Super Isol but I just got some AAC block and I'm sure there will be enough leftover for you to make a door out of. Just let me know. It's super light and very thermal efficient.

Comment

Dalucca, I have some. Mine is not the superisol, it's Insblock 19. It is 3" thick, but superb to water moisure, and is stable to weight. I will be glad to ship some to you. You may have to cut the piece to make it fit (one into several). My scraps are limited and I will need some for my door and arch wall (support).
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Acoma,

Thanks for the offer. All I need is a small piece for the oven door. Really appreciate your offer if you are sure you will not need the extra piece. Keep up the great work on you oven by the way.

Question off the subject, do you live near Verdi? We have sone friends who live there and occassionally come up there to visit.

Comment

5 minutes away. I live off the 80 and N. McCarren coming into town (NW reno). If you want to pick up the piece when visiting you are more than welcome to.
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

made wy dooor from a piece of soapstone left over from a job. attached a stainless angle to the bottom to keep it vertical . used 2 handles salvaged from a renovation. drilled 2 oak dowels to cver steel handles to keep them cool. door works great .

Comment

Lovely door Dave! Nice material and cool handles, I like it!

...I know its probably been discussed before, but how well does soapstone insulate? Can you touch the door when its in place on the hot oven?
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Nice Door! Just out of curiousity, how much do you think it weighs?
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

this door weighs about 30 pounds , a little heavy but mostly i just slide it out and keep it on the shelf when firing oven or cooking with the dooor open

Comment

Yeah, a little heavy. Mine's probably close to 20. I estimated 10 awhile ago, but it's way heavier than that. 30 LBS going in and out of the entryway will chip hot fire bricks easily. Be careful with that battering ram!
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Made a start today on the insulated door I mentioned in an earlier post - this is a proof-of-concept thing rather than a prime example of metalwork (see attached pics).

The idea was to have a door in which no metal parts touch, and all is spaced by rigid insulation, say calcium silicate board...

I used galvanised sheet metal from a long-defunct luxury electric oven that failed miserably many times in its 13-year-life - may still use two panes of heat-proof glass in an outer door for the flue arch :-)

Cut the sheets with tin snips and bent up a series of tabs to hold the calsil in place.

All I need now is a way to glue the two calsil half moons together and attach a handle!

Cheers,

LMH
                              Last edited by carioca; 03-10-2008, 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling
                              "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Working...
                              X