How necessary is the mortar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How necessary is the mortar??

Okay, so we built our oven and housed it and realized too late that we didn't mortar the seams of the dome before wrapping it in the insulating blankets. What kind of issues, if any, are we looking at? Is just a matter of heat loss (which we could live with), or are we looking at the blankets being burned at the seams or giving off fumes (which is scarier)?

You built a dome with no mortar? Or you didn't mortar outside the dome? The latter is not an issue. The former, I want to see pictures!
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ha! We just didn't mortar outside the dome. We got the modular dome that came in three pieces, and we were supposed to mortar the outside of the seams and around the bottom.

I wrote to the customer service folks and they thought we might lose some heat, but they were able to reassure me that I wasn't going to 1) damage the insulating blankets nor 2) introduce weird chemicals from them into our pizza.

Just for fun, here's what the housing looks like. I *really* don't want to take all that siding off! (It's sided with cedar all around the sides and back).

Comment

Working...
      X