2G90 Build in NW Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2G90 Build in NW Ontario

Hello everyone! Last year we decided to build an outdoor pizza oven. In fact, i've never even had a piece of pizza from such an oven, but it must be good! I'm building the oven on a concrete block base, which will have countertops extending rom each side, one with a fridge underneath, the other with a charcoal BBQ built in. I hadn't started this with an outdoor kitchen in mind, but it has turned into that.
    The base is built and has scratch coat on it now, awaiting the stone. The weather is finally starting to turn to spring here, and the planning of the enclosure for the oven. We plan to do a 'house' and cover it with stone veneer. A 5:12 roof over it, asphalt shingles, with maybe some lighting in the soffits.
    One question I am pondering is the use of steel studs. With all the insulation around the dome, I don't see there being a fire hazard. My enclosure will also be about 2-3" from the insulation. I can't find vermiculite around here either, but i have extra room for more insulation if i want it. (maybe just Roxul rock wool batts?) SO with the extra space, i feel wood will be safe to use, but maybe i'm out to lunch. I'll mention i do not have to conform to any building codes per se, no permit required for this. Also, with our heavy snow loads in the winter, i'd be weary of using steel studs for making the roof trusses, just does not seem like it'd be as strong as wood, again, maybe i'm way off on this. Having to order the steel studs in is a bit of a pain, as getting the correct amount is never possible, being stuck with leftovers is waste i can't return, and being short means waiting up to 3 weeks for another shipment......Using metal roofing vs shingles is something I do not want to do, as in -40, the metal roofing does not shed snow like everyone thinks, it must be built strong no matter what to take a 5-6' snow load.
    I look forward to any advice!
    Thanks to the others who post their builds, it has been great inspiration to continue!

So after reading some other build threads, I decided to order some steel studs. Was able to get 20ga. I built the walls of the enclosure with steel, and the roof trusses with wood. I am using an insulated chimney btw, so I am not worried about heat through the roof.
    I insulated the dome with 4 layers of the supplied insulation after several curing fires. Then a few more with the insulation before it got closed in. The outside of the insulation is warm to the touch with the oven up to temp. I feel framing in with wood would have been fine. As the local hardware store does not carry cement board, I sheeted in the exterior with plywood which will be veneered with stone. The front wall however did get cement board as the store found one sheet. I added a layer of R22 Roxul around the oven/in the walls for some added insulation.
    After an evening of pizza cooking, next day the oven is still 400', this with the steel door that came with! I plan to fab up an insulated door as others have.
    As for the roof flashing, I had to use 2 flashings and make one to come through the peak. I lucked out and got 3 for a future pizza! It took some cussing, silicone and rivets but from the ground it looks ok and it sheds water.
    Now onto finishing the concrete counters and the rock work.

Comment

Comment

That is looking great. You are almost done. Congratulations you should be very proud of what you have accomplished.

Randy

Comment

Thanks Randy!
          Well, after several pizza cooking nights, I can sleep easy knowing the oven is performing great! We've managed to find an ok dough recipe, and cook several breads the day after pizzas! We've also cooked steaks and veggies 'cave man style', which i think was the best steak I've ever had. One thing we noticed however, the underside of the oven base, which is 6" thick concrete (then the 2" FB board insulation under the floor stone) gets pretty warm. The temp gun showed it 110' after a long night of cooking. This is a little warmer than i thought it would get. Im thinking about putting in a few layers of 2" styrofoam on the bottom side of the concrete, to help hold in some more heat. We plan to use the oven in the winter, and I can see some heat loss when its -20!!
          Now to stop spending so much time cooking and get the stone work and landscaping finished!

Comment

Looks good.......any more progress??
            https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

As winter is coming, only a few details left to finish! Lights, fridge, and waiting on a granite landing piece to be made up. Landscaping will be ongoing for a bit as well, but the oven is working awesome! We've had numerous parties now, 10-12 people on average. Perfecting the sourdough pizza dough has proven to be the most changeling part of the whole project!

Comment

A year later, and she's pretty much finished! Some doors to go on the storage area, a bit of landscaping but these are projects that are never finished. It's taken as long to figure out the best dough, we prefer a sourdough, with some locally milled flour. It's been a heck of a project, but well worth it! We now have friends we didn't know we had! Good thing they bring cheese .

Comment

Working...
                X