Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gap in oven mouth

Hey all,
    I am enjoying my Casa2G so far, even though I'm about halfway through the curing. It's interesting to see what the fire at each stage should look like--200, 300, 400, and tonight 500 degrees.

A couple of questions:
    The oven cover does not reach all the way to the lip of the rim that it should be seated against. There is a gap there of about 2-3 mm. I can see smoke coming out when it's closed. The fire does seem to be going out when I use the cover, though. Do you think this is a problem? If yes, any suggestions on how to fix it? I was thinking of laying down a layer of stucco or perhaps the mortar that came the oven, so that the cover will seal. What do you think?

Second, I'll just finish curing the oven on Thursday, and Friday it will rain. The oven does not have its last layer of stucco or any sealant on it yet. I will cover it with a tarp. Do you think I should re-cure the oven again after the rain? Perhaps a day or two with medium hot fires just to be safe?

Your suggestions and your knowledge are appreciated!
    m

Michael, congrats on the oven! You're going to enjoy it!

Is it the door that came with the oven? The sheet steel door? I think there are 2 uses for a door...1) to use but not completely close off the oven so heat stays in while heating but still can breath, and 2) an insulated door to completely close off the oven and preserve heat loss. If this is the non-insulated steel door, the gap is OK if it's working for you. I have two doors to cover each of these purposes.

If you're keeping the water completely out of the oven, you shouldn't need to re-cure. It will absorb some moisture from the air, but that is always going to happen. If you've had several days at 300-400 degrees to get the moisture out from construction, that is the critical part. There is a ton of water present in construction...much more than will be absorbed by the bricks from humid air from a day of rain, esp. if its covered. In my opinion, you'll be OK.
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Thanks George. Good to know.
      I'll do a search for more info on the insulated door. That sounds interesting. If you know of any good threads for further info, I'd like to know.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Search the forum...I seem to remember a thread on insulated door pics...
        George

See my build album here.

Comment

There are other threads discussing doors, but Deejayoh started a dedicated thread that you might find interesting.
          There are lots of questions about oven doors, but no official door thread. I thought it would be useful to consolidate a bunch of examples that showed different
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Klieman View Post
            Hey all,
            I am enjoying my Casa2G so far, even though I'm about halfway through the curing. It's interesting to see what the fire at each stage should look like--200, 300, 400, and tonight 500 degrees.

A couple of questions:
            The oven cover does not reach all the way to the lip of the rim that it should be seated against. There is a gap there of about 2-3 mm. I can see smoke coming out when it's closed. The fire does seem to be going out when I use the cover, though. Do you think this is a problem? If yes, any suggestions on how to fix it? I was thinking of laying down a layer of stucco or perhaps the mortar that came the oven, so that the cover will seal. What do you think?

Second, I'll just finish curing the oven on Thursday, and Friday it will rain. The oven does not have its last layer of stucco or any sealant on it yet. I will cover it with a tarp. Do you think I should re-cure the oven again after the rain? Perhaps a day or two with medium hot fires just to be safe?

Your suggestions and your knowledge are appreciated!
            m
            Someone else posted about the same problem a few months ago. It turned out FB had accidentally supplied a door from a different sized oven.There should not be a gap between the door and the top of the oven mouth. Sounds to me like they've supplied you with the wrong door too.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ah, a definitive response!
              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Someone else posted about the same problem a few months ago. It turned out FB had accidentally supplied a door from a different sized oven.There should not be a gap between the door and the top of the oven mouth. Sounds to me like they've supplied you with the wrong door too.
                Thanks David! I'll call them tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X