CASA2G90 Oven in Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASA2G90 Oven in Central Texas

I need some guidance on my kit build. Everything has gone well for my oven build except for covering the oven seams. I used the material sent with the kit and covered the oven seams to about 3/4" thickness with mortar. The problem is that I can tell that in multiple places the mortar did not adhere to the oven dome - only the mortar adhering to itself is holding it on the oven. This doesn't seem right; after a few oven cycles I'm afraid the mortar will completely release from the dome. If that happens under the insulation after I have stuccoed the oven I can't easily repair the problem.

I'm thinking I need to remove the loose mortar and reapply. Here's my questions:
    What product should I use? I do have a supply of HeatStop on hand.
    How do I ensure that it sticks this time?

I dampened the dome and mixed the original according to the instructions. I'm not sure what to do differently this time around.

I included a few pictures of problem areas.

Thanks,

Gary

I'm alerting Alex_FB. I'm sure that they can give you some great advice.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by SciAggie View Post
      I need some guidance on my kit build. Everything has gone well for my oven build except for covering the oven seams. I used the material sent with the kit and covered the oven seams to about 3/4" thickness with mortar. The problem is that I can tell that in multiple places the mortar did not adhere to the oven dome - only the mortar adhering to itself is holding it on the oven. This doesn't seem right; after a few oven cycles I'm afraid the mortar will completely release from the dome. If that happens under the insulation after I have stuccoed the oven I can't easily repair the problem.

I'm thinking I need to remove the loose mortar and reapply. Here's my questions:
      What product should I use? I do have a supply of HeatStop on hand.
      How do I ensure that it sticks this time?

I dampened the dome and mixed the original according to the instructions. I'm not sure what to do differently this time around.

I included a few pictures of problem areas.

Thanks,

Gary
      Gary, Applying water to the dome actually hurts the application process. Too wet, it won't stick, too dry it doesn't bond. You want a paste like consistency. The mortar is not about holding the dome together, it is more about covering the interlocking joint to slow heat dissipation. Heat Stop will work fine. Just make sure the product is rated over 1200 degrees. Stripping it down, just be sure not to cut the dome.
      Forno Bravo

Comment

Working...
      X