Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jodear
    replied
    Thanks for the advice. I can always give it more time. I'm not in a hurry.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Those should work you just need to screen off so bugs done use as a some and plug off. I have seen other builders drill holes in copper and cap off end. There is a lot of water in pcrete so a week may not be enough time.

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    I had seen that you guys had added those vents. I actually added two using copper pipe. It's hard to see in this picture, but I put them up on the back side of the oven. I hope they work. I'm going to let things cure for about another week, then start the fires. Wish me luck

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    A vent at the apex would be good preventative maintenance since you are at the pcrete stage you can still install with a little work. This allows any water vapor to escape since when water sublimates to vapor, the volume increases by a factor of 1500 which could cause pressure build up in the dome and crack it or the stucco or the finish coat. There are several options but Gulf and I use a breather vent available at any car parts store for less than $10.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	99 Course 6 6.19.14.JPG
Views:	570
Size:	610.2 KB
ID:	439683

https://community.fornobravo.com/cor...EAAAICRAEAOw==

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    Thanks UtahBeehiver, I am really worried about the curing process. I know FB says start at 300, but I will probably start lower, and for a few more days. I have some time on my hands, so going slow isn't an issue. Well, except the impatient part of me that wants to put on a pizza.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    The key for higher ratio pcrete install is small lifts, let dry a day then another lift. If you try and do too much vertical at once it just slumps off, also a curve trowel to compress and form pcrete helps. I did 8 to 1 but it took me a week to complete. But you are done. Remember pcrete contains a lot of water and really needs to dry before you put on the final coat. You can start curing now. Start with charcoal briquettes for a couple fire, transient help gets up to around 200 F. You can throw a dutch oven on the charcoal. as well. Cure "really" slow do NOT get impatient and crank her up.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-03-2021, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    Started on the landing yesterday, and did the first two levels of the arch and let that dry overnight. Finished up the arch today. I'm still freaking out about pulling out those forms. I'm hoping the cardboard I put underneath was enough to let those forms drop enough to pull them out.
    1st time doing brick work. I'm telling everyone I'm going for the "Rustic" look. It's really because I'm not a very good mason.....
    It did turn out better than I thought it would. (Unless this thing falls down.) I was worried about the double brick landing. I didn't know if it would look good or not. I think it looks just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    Put on the blanket, wrapped it in a metal lath and put on a layer of Vermiculite, perlite, and portland cement. Sides were done with a 4:2:1, and the top was done with 5:3:1 ratio.
    I have no idea how anyone is able to put this stuff on at 10:1. I was struggling with sides for better part of a day. Once i got the bottom done, and let that harden for a day, the rest did go much
    quicker.
    Last edited by Jodear; 07-03-2021, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Congratulations! That looks really good!

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    FB designed their ovens with an "L" joint, so there is only mortar on the outside portion of the joint. Not the inside that will need to do the expanding.
    I appreciate the compliment on the base. I haven't done any type of concrete or stone work in 20+ years when I spent a summer working
    for a Stucco/drywall company. At that I was mostly just a laborer that could carry heavy things around. I just watched the real professionals
    and had to try to remember what I saw them do. I guess my memory isn't shot, just yet.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Ok fair enough if that is what the instructions say then it must be right!
    From my own perpective i cant see that filling expansion gaps makes sense but I am sure the manufactures have thought this through.
    Your base work looks great by the way.

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    Yes, it’s the refractory mortar that came with the oven to just seal the joints.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    In most modular ovens the joints are designed to expand and contract, was it specified to fill the joints?

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    Got the oven up on the floor insulation and cut it to shape. Then mortared the joints. Should I be concerned if there are any, what I see as superficial cracks in the refractory mortar?

Leave a comment:

• Jodear
    replied
    Oven came yesterday. I decided to put down FoamGlas for that first layer. Since moisture is an issue in Houston, I'm trying to keep the floor as dry as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X