Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Additional layer of refractory mortar over Casa2G???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional layer of refractory mortar over Casa2G???

Hi All,

We just decided to add a pizza oven to our backyard setup and I am deciding between a Casa2G90 vs Premio100. I like the 36" size so Premio is a little too big for my space. I am wondering if it will help to beef up the Casa2G90 core by adding another 1" layer of refractory mortar over the prebuilt core? Or is that unnecessary?

Thanks.

I would say no but it might depend on exactly what you hope to achieve by doing so?
    If you did do such a thing, you would have to allow for expansion and not restrict the domes design to do so?
    What would you use to do so? Perhaps some home brew recipe with expansion gaps but it will almost certainly crack and loose adhesion .

To be honest these projects are pretty time consuming and not really an easy job to start with and I cant really see the benefit of complicating any issues before you start.
    Concentrate on building a super quality base and super efficient insulation, think about where any heat loss will be and work on ares that might allow water ingress.
    Study the types of insulation available and how to keep it bone dry.
    A well built cast dome will hold heat for days on end but if you have some unknown criteria that we don't know about then there may be other options?

Comment

No I was just wondering why Forno Bravo would sell a 40" casa and a 40" Premio with the only difference being the thickness of the refractory material. But I talked to someone there today and am convinced that there is not much to gain unless I am in a high production setting.

Comment

If it is heat retention you are after, the total wall thickness is of importance. Not if it mass or insulation. You will thus get equal performance by adding an inch extra insulation rather than an inch of mass.

Comment

Working...
        X