Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knackers modular oven & Bali hut

Hi all,
    well I went through the arduous task of trying to find where I could get all the bits & pieces to build my pompeii oven.......................................Then I found out that I was holding xmas this year!!!! Good lord!!!

the weeks need to be 10 days long & the days need to be 37 hours in total with no night time.

So..........out with the pompei & in with the bought one . I desperatly wanted to build my own, however, I work all day & work after work & on weekends around the house & it just wasnt looking good for time as I wanted to build this Bali hut around the pool.

So here is what I am building.. A 3.6 mtr X 5.2 mtr hip roofed Bali hut, with a corner oven built in.... I was always going to have just the arched hole in a wall & in the next group of photos it will show them.

I used Formblocks for the main wall constructon. They were great. They are located in Australia, New Zealand & U.S.A but only in Florida.....Formblock? by Global Building Systems
    who are these children? & why are they calling me dad?

Re: Knackers modular oven & Bali hut

Hey Knackers!

It's looking good! Your oven will be a great addition to your back yard, Particularly if you get it done on time!

Good luck with your build,

JED

Comment

Thanks Jed,
      I am a ittle bit further along with the build at the moment. Just realised that I could get the pics off my phone & I could post them while I should be working.
      I am so excited about this build. My wife wanted to have an open fire.....but we live in the tropics albeit near the start of the tropics but never the less it only gets cold for a couple of weeks a year. So I said NO I am not going to build a fireplace for a couple of fires a year.

Then I saw a WFO on the TV...........

So I made an excuse to build a new entertainment area around this oven & up by the pool.

Mike

Comment

where did you pick up the oven in oz from and was there much work to get it into place?

Comment

Originally posted by boofalu View Post
          where did you pick up the oven in oz from and was there much work to get it into place?
          Mate there are heaps of them in Australia.... most are based out of Perth

I bought this one Wood Fired Ovens, Wood Fire Pizza Ovens, Outdoor DIY Pizza Ovens Australia - Mediterranean Woodfired Ovens

Great.......done in a one day works great.... not very wide tho..... I bought the middle one.

they are based out of the sunshine coast in qld

Comment

Looks great Knackers! Going to be gorgeous by the pool I am looking forward to seeing the roof construction.

Did you sink the roof support posts into the ground, or attach them to the slab, or what? (and how, of course )

Travis
            TravisNTexas

Comment

I was lucky enough to have a concrete slab around the pool. So I chemset the starter bars into it. The posts are sitting 8 inches or 200mm (one block high) above the ground & I drilled a bit of y12 (1/2 inch reo) through the bottom of the post so that it would attach itself to the corefill & corefilled all of the blocks, including around the post. So esentually the peirs that are surrounding the posts near the pool are connected to the concrete slab by starter bars and concrete.

anyway. the wall is at the correct height now. I just have to corefill some more... only 1m3 left.

B4 that is make sure I have the conduit for the deck lights & the ones that I have to light up the roof.

I will hopefully be pitching the roof this weekend. Then after work next week I will be doing the thatching & the rendering (stucco for the yanks) and last but not least the decking.

Busy times ahead.

Just wish it would stop raining
              Last edited by Knackers; 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Knackers. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build! It looks great and will only make the already gorgeous place you have look even better! Thanks for all the photos!

Travis
                TravisNTexas

Comment

Gorgeous place - love the tropical plants!

I know what you mean about the rain. We had a few warmer days and nights here - perfect for finishing my topcoat for stucco - but it rained every day!

now looks like the temps are at freezing or below for the next 10 days. I'm never going to finish!!!

I'm finding I never have enough conduit to support my plans - run extra while you're at it!!! Speakers - LED lighting - who knows what is in your future!!

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

The house is a work in progress...... Lots of things to fix from the guy we bought it off.... He used to think that he was kind of handy.......I would like to get my hands on the bastard sometimes

Anyway I will take some more pics of the rest of the place as I go.... I love it. we are in the middle of suburbia, however you dont tend to notice anyone else living around you.

Yeah Christo..........you cant have enough conduit!

speaking of the previous owner, he built the pots around the pool & directly in front of the pots in the pool are the pool lights........................................Now you would think that he would have put the wires in conduit b4 he built the concrete & concrete block ponds above where the lights are, that house the pots now wouldnt ya? oh no......... dead short in both lights!..... cant pull the wires out because there is 2 ton of concrete stucture on top & no conduit.... lmao

so I dont want to knock down that to fix the pool lights so we dont have pool lights
                    Last edited by Knackers; 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Mike

I also have a Mediterranean WFO.....shipped it from Perth about 2 years ago.

Have been very happy with it but I've got a bit lazy lately about using it. Cranked it up a couple of weekends ago for the first time in about 6 months and suddenly remembered what I've been missing.

I always use it for Christmas roast dinner...... turkey and pork, and it is superb.

And as for pizza, well I'm sure you've read all the superlatives used on this forum, there really is nothing like it.

I look forward to hearing about your first firings....it's an exciting time.

Cheers
                      Bill
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	953.4 KB
ID:	273051

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG
Size:	909.6 KB
ID:	273052

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	273053

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	273054

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Size:	794.7 KB
ID:	273055
                      Tutto Fumo e niente arrosto!

Comment

I poured the last of the block wall over the weekend. & prepaired the timber. sanded & stained.

I have cut the roof & shes ready to put up. I just have to find the time.

billrd, I have fired her up a couple of times, however I have been too busy to cook anything in it as yet.... cant wait tho, Maybe this comming weekend after pitching the roof

Comment

Fan-freakin'-tastic! Love your place and your project is awesome!

Nothing wrong with a store-bought oven. I understand that they do the thing just fine. But it looks to me like you work like a horse! I bet you could have thrown a brick oven up in a few days!

Keep up the good work and thanks for the fabulous pics.

dusty

Comment

Ahhh.......Formblock makes me look good. That was just a dream using those blocks.

was a busy weekend tho, I had the missus out with me passing me concrete in a bucket while I was up on a scaffold. Gotta get them working hey...

Cant wait to get it finished so while there are hours in the day there is time to get it done.

Got a bit sunburt tho

Comment

Oh..... this girl thinks he helped too..... but ya know what lying sods they can be ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                              X