Is this a bad thing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a bad thing???

I'm not familiar with FB ovens or how they are assembled. As you can see there is a gap at the apex. A guy has this for sale so I thought I should ask the experts. Thanks!

Re: Is this a bad thing???

Originally posted by PizzaPolice View Post
    I'm not familiar with FB ovens or how they are assembled. As you can see there is a gap at the apex. <snip>
    As you should coat the entire outside with Refrax [I covered my at least 2" thick] I do not feel it will cause any harm. Assembly is an easy task and can be done in one day after the base is prepped and ready to go.

J W

Comment

Thanks for the shoutback. The pic is from an oven mounted on a "concessionaire" trailer from Joseph. I'm in the process of buying it from a 3rd party. Pretty much just wondering if it's ok as seen or would I need to stick some HeatStop in there.

Thanks,
      PP

Comment

I'm with JW -- it will be fine.

There is a thick layer of refractory material between the inner face of the oven and the outer face, so the chip isn't a problem. I would recommend that you do a cosmetic patch using Refmix or Heatstop50 for a little peace of mind -- and it will look nicer. Get the whole area wet before you do that patch, so the oven doesn't suck the water out of the mortar.

You are good to go!
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks, James.
          Glad to hear it from the horses mouth.
          Without digging around in the posts.... was it better to buy the dry HeatStop50 or the wet stuff in the bucket?
          My M.A.M. could use a little patching as well.

Thanks so much.
          PP

Comment

I think dry is more cost-effective. Make sure you get the waterproof version.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

We've heard repeated bad reports about wet premixed refractory mortars, including the one sold by heatstop. Buy the dry mix, it comes in a ten pound container, as well as the fifty pound bag. (that's what the 50 is in heatstop 50) My local brickyard carries it in the little container.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

What dmun said. :-)
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I talked with the heatstop guy this week on the phone. He agrees that the dry stuff is right for outdoor ovens.

Joe
                  Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Thanks guys! That dmun knows ALL the angles. I appreciate it.

I'll do it if I can get these uSHIP dudes to cooperate.

Comment

Working...
                    X