foundation slab for the casa 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foundation slab for the casa 100

I am a bit confused with regard to the slab and i don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

I came up with a slab of 85 inches wide and 100 inches deep, does that sound alright ?

thank you in advance,
    tommy

Seems big to me

I looked at the PDF for the casa 100 instalation. It said the hearth slab was 58 inches wide by 66 inches deep. It said the foundation slab should be at least 4 inches bigger than the hearth slab to support whatever trim material you are planning to use. That would be 62" x 70" Obviously if you wanted a thicker decorative covering, like 4" wide bricks, you would want a bigger slab than that.

Good luck.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thanks

thank you for your response, just to put my mind at ease, we are talking about the slab that the base of 8x8x16 blocks will be on to form the base ?
      Thanks again

Comment

Yes, the four inch thick rebar reinforced bottom slab. How much bigger you make it depends on how you finish your exterior.

To avoid block cutting, you may want to lay out your layout with blocks and measure it, and make the slab however much bigger you want to fit the block layout.

It's been discussed making the bottom slab slope forward to drain rainwater from your firewood storage. If you do this you need to mortar up your first layer of blocks so they (and the hearth slab) is lever. Most base slabs so far have been made level.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Pour slab level, build stand, and then provide a slope inside

(dmun) "It's been discussed making the bottom slab slope forward to drain rainwater from your firewood storage. If you do this you need to mortar up your first layer of blocks so they (and the hearth slab) is lever. Most base slabs so far have been made level."

(M) I agree that the foundation slab should be poured level. Below, for whatever it may be worth, is a Copy-Paste from a much earlier posting of mine. If you want to see the images that go with this Paste, go to:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/show...ighlight=SLOPE

(M) The next image shows some of the begining support for the plywood particle board - wafer board - or whatver. I had read in someone else's posting, his regret that he had not sloped the wood storage area, to prevent rain water build up, until after he poured his hearth slab! 'Good', I thought, I'll learn from his mistake not realizing I overlooked the resulting angle cuts needed by my vertical 2x4 supports where they rest on a now sloped floor! You are probably going to have less trouble in the long run by first pouring the Hearth Slab, building your block stand, and then crawling under it and only then pouring a 1/2" slope to the front, even as awkward as that would be.

Ciao,

Marcel
          Last edited by Marcel; 06-21-2006, 06:52 AM. Reason: clarification needed
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
          but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Originally posted by dmun
            I looked at the PDF for the casa 100 instalation. It said the hearth slab was 58 inches wide by 66 inches deep. It said the foundation slab should be at least 4 inches bigger than the hearth slab to support whatever trim material you are planning to use. That would be 62" x 70" Obviously if you wanted a thicker decorative covering, like 4" wide bricks, you would want a bigger slab than that.

Good luck.
            With my rocks and bricks, I went a full 8 inches more on each side and it turned out to be just about right. I am hanging over just a bit in most places, but that is fine.
            Chad
            Renaissance Man
            Wholly Man

Comment

Working...
            X