insulating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulating question

I am asking questions a little ahead of time because I pour my hearth this Sat...
    But After I build my oven I plan to wrap it with an insulating blanket...

Then I plan to build a gable style enclosure.... Should/DO I still need to fill that enclosure with additional material...
    If I do won't that compact down the insulating blanket and reduce its insulating properties?

Thx in adavance... I am getting closure to great Pizza everyday!

Fill the enclosure with vermiculite

I have blanketed my oven in insulfrax and when I build the gable house around it, I will l line the walls with fiberfrax board and fill the entire inside with verimiculite.

Vermiculte won't compress the blanket. It weighs next to nothing.
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

Enclosure walls

Hey Fio,

If you have a 1" Insulfrax blanket and 4" +/- vermiculite around that, you really don't need anything thermal for your enclosure walls. The heat just won't get that far. You can build the upper walls from brick, block or metal stud and concrete board, and they will barely get hot.

That would save you some time and money.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

vermiculite

James,

Do you pour the vermiculite on top of the insulating blanket also?

For just a simple backyard oven mainly cooking pizzas, sometines bread and chicken how much do I need?

PS Thx.. I got my Super Isol today! that was Fast!

Comment

Yep. Vermiculite over the Insulfrax

You can add the vermiculite right over the blanket. You can do it three ways:

1. For a house enclosure, just pour it in. Simple.
          2. For an Igloo, you can build your wire structure, put on the scratch coat of stucco (leaving a small window) and pour the vermiculite in.
          3. For an Igloo, you can mix the vermiculite with Portland cement to get a light castable insulating concrete and add that right to the insulfrax layer. It's crumbly, so you need to work to get the form right and you can use your stucco lathe to hold it in place.

In general, vermiculite is light and pretty easy to work with.

Hope this helps.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
          X