• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marklewis
    replied
    Re: Cob Oven Build

Originally posted by Archena View Post
    Coolness!

Um, 'cob' and 'sauna' are two words that probably don't go together. Cob can't handle constant wetness and humidity that high that long would probably do not nice things. Cob will make a wonderful study though - and you can put the money saved toward the wood for the sauna!
    Your right, but I was going to make a dry heat without the steam! Probably never get to it anyway; I still have my treehouse and house addition to complete!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Coolness!

Um, 'cob' and 'sauna' are two words that probably don't go together. Cob can't handle constant wetness and humidity that high that long would probably do not nice things. Cob will make a wonderful study though - and you can put the money saved toward the wood for the sauna!

Leave a comment:

• marklewis
    replied

Nice Oven Tscarborough! Did you plan to remodel the house side to match your oven or was the oven an afterthought? Looks good!

It is fun to build and work with clay/mud; I'm already thinking of building a small cob study and/or sauna; but alas, must first finish the other 99 projects I've started!

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Outstanding! I want to build one like that for fun.

Leave a comment:

• marklewis
    replied

Here are a few more pictures. It is hard to wait for it to dry but I must be patient; would hate for the whole thing to collapse because I am impatient!

Leave a comment:

• marklewis
    started a poll Cob Oven Build

Cob Oven Build

a
    100.00%
    b
    0.00%
    c
    0.00%
    d
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Started a cob/clay oven build a few weeks back. I am planning to build a fire-brick oven but thought I could learn a lot from first building a practice clay oven to learn from. (am learning much; this has been great for learning and looking forward to my first fire and first pizza and first bread, etc, etc!)

The oven is 27 inch inside diameter. The cob is 3" thick and will later be covered with 3 or 4 inches of insulation. The hearth is firebrick over a 2.5 inch insulated vermiculite/concrete mix. Cob is 1 part clay, 1 part red sand, 1 part fine sand, 1/2 part course sand mix, and just a little shredded wheat straw.

We made 3" wet bricks with a form and built the oven over packed sand one ring/brick at a time.

I cut the door today: 13.5" at base and 9.5" tall (inside dome is 15"). Will have more pictures soon of completed oven with cut door and sand removed)

Allowing clay to dry a few days before we pull out the sand form and clean up the inside. It's been fun but a lot of work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marklewis; 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM.
Working...
X