Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

Ive landed a job where I have to build a base and assemble a modular oven that was brought from Italy, the modular oven build is rubbish and Im sure I could have built the entire oven from scratch for less.

The question is, will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

The family want to have a pizza birthday party with the oven in about 3 weeks time.
    Ive bought a gas/wok ring as I thought it may speed up the curing a tad.

The brickwork base was done yesterday and the concrete slab for the oven to sit on was done this morning.

Edit:-
    The oven and cooking floor are made from refractory concrete but the joints on some areas are about 15mm wide...
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

Hi Al,

I'd love to see some pictures of the project. I have a hunch that a modular would need less curing time. It has less mass and doesn't have the porous bricks that have been dipped in water.

That being said, the instructions for FornoBravo's Casa2G recommends a 5 day cure. Since it's someone else's oven, you better take it slow
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Some pics of the build.

The inside of the oven casting is so porous there are holes everywhere, you can even see the chicken wire they used for the reinforcing.

I had to grind the lumps off the oven hearth that were left after manufacture.

I used the clay pavers for extra thermal mass.
      Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-17-2011, 10:15 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Some more pics.

Ive left a gas burner in there on low for the weekend to hurry the curing along a bit.

The castings are about 60mm thick, do you think this is thick enough as I can add more castable if needed?
        There is a whole section missing from the front that Ive had to make up with brickwork.

These ppl have 3 other ovens and I saw one being loaded onto a truck this morning for a relo, I think I have all of the other 3 to install.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Ive landed a job where I have to build a base and assemble a modular oven that was brought from Italy, ...
          Hi Al, I'm curious, what sort of money did they pay for this type of unit?
          Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

They paid $1200 but its not complete, they didnt know this until I told them.
            The brochure that came with the oven shows all the parts, its in Italian of course and I can make out the majority of it from guess work.

Im sure there should have been another crate with the front, s steel chimney etc in it but they havent got it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I like the idea of having the opening in the shed, thats awesome, would be good for parties, especially in the winter months.

Comment

They said they have as many as 120 per shed party, so the oven will be well used....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It looks like those castings are fired terra cotta. Is that what they look like to you?
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Its painted concrete, and they have slapped on some red oxide too for good measure, its all over my clothes.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Many Italian ovens are made of fired Terracotta. Trouble is it takes quite a bit of energy, time to fire them to the required temp and you need a kiln large enough to do it. It seems as though they are trying to make their castings look like they are fired terra cotta. Probably made by some crooked mates of Berlusconi.

Things are so crooked in Italy they estimate that one third of the economy works in cash only, to avoid taxation.
                      Last edited by david s; 11-18-2011, 04:40 PM. Reason: Rave on Italian economy
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Some more pics.
                        I left a gas ring burner going all weekend to help with the curing, a 9Kg bottle lasted 2 days.
                        I also started the curing fires today, it took just a couple of twigs to get the dome warm.

I put insulating fire bricks on the first couple of courses on the chimney, from there up I put some ceramic blanket to stop the shed wall from getting too hot.

I just have to fill the enclosure with insulation and do the roof.
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-20-2011, 11:23 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Some more pics, the oven is still reluctant to burn due to the moisture in the oven but the heat gun gives it a boost.
                          There is ceramic blanket x 3 over the top and about 100mm of loose vermiculite.

I made an insulated door and blast door for the oven too.

The flue measures out to be 30% of the door hole.
                          Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-23-2011, 08:25 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I went back to the oven today as there was a slight rainwater leak that needed fixing between the shed and the oven.

The owners have been doing the curing fires and they got the dome to clear a few days ago.
                            While I was there I lit a fire and the oven got to 400c fairly quickly using about 1/2 a wheelbarrow of wood, the oven was still warm from the previous fire.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                            X