combination smoker and WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combination smoker and WFO

I am in the process of building an outdoor kitchen which includes a combination pizza oven and smoker. My design is essentially an oven with a hole in the middle of the floor for a charcoal box for smoking. When I want to use it as an oven I will cover the hole with a pizza stone and build the fire. I have not seen anything like this on the internet so I am wondering if there is a reason this won't work. I realize it is a little sub-optimal for both a smoker and an oven but I think it will work.

Any thoughts?

Re: combination smoker and WFO

Maybe post a question about this on the bbq-brethren board, more smoke heads there...

Comment

I built a combination pizza oven, fireplace and smoker. Your idea should work great for smoking and pizza. I haven't tried baking bread yet, but every other aspect works great so far.

Comment

I'm glad someone else has tried this and it seems to work. Especially since I'm almost done

Comment

Got any pics there guys?

Comment

check out the photo forum at
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...46568114_n.jpg

Comment

It will be interesting to see how well it retains heat without the insulation in the space for your firebox. I think you will also have issues with your pizza stone getting way hotter than your firebricks during firing of your oven for pizza's. You will certainly get the stone above 700 long before your firbricks. Your firbox space may just suck all of your heat away.

I smoke in my oven by buildinga bed of coals to one side, and placing the food on the other, small chunks of wood and the firing door on cracked a bit for circulation has worked for me.

Please keep us posted as you get your oven completed and learn how your oven cooks. Could be a learning experience for all of us.

Comment

Working...
              X