cercast HT-food safe to cook on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cercast HT-food safe to cook on?

Picture attached shows the make up of a castable I am wanting to use for a cast oven build. Molds are getting close to completion now for the casting of this oven.

If the picture is too small this is the link to the tech info Technical Specification Datasheet Level 3

I am also wondering about heat up times for a castable oven made with this product. The tech help from Cercast HT says they would not recomend a 1 hr heat up time on this or any of there castable products if it was only 2 inches thick. They say if going up to 800 degrees in that quick of a heat up time is way to fast and may crack it even if it was cured properly. What are peoples feelings on castables cracking easier than regular fire brick builds? Are all castable units pretty much the same for make up on the mortar? Maybe the tech help was just being over cautious and saying it needs at least a 2 hour heat up each cooking session to help the oven not to crack.
    Last edited by waynespizzaworld; 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM.
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: cercast HT-food safe to cook on?

You are correct about heat up times. The industry standard is 100 C/hr. at a rate of around 400 C/hr you can expect hairline cracking. But these hairline cracks never seem to get any worse. Any large cast pieces are subject to minor cracking, it is better to cast in a number of pieces so you can design where the cracks will be. The temp difference and resulting uneven expansion is the culprit.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
    X