Suggestions for the chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for the chimney?

We are about to start the chimney and outside arch. I was thinking of using the stainless steel 8 inch pipe (24") plus the cap and connector from Forno Bravo since we are new to this- but am not sure of the best way to attach it to the enclosure.

Is there a thread that shows details about chimney construction? I'm having trouble finding relevant material since most people have Pompeii and not barrel ovens.

Thanks, Sarah and Josh

You can see our progress to date. Josh did some nice work on the entry with salvaged pieces of granite and left over firebricks. The oven is braced right now with wood, until we get the metal brace made.

Re: Suggestions for the chimney?

You may be past this point now siince I'm over a month late in replying. That being said, I used essentially the same chimney as you're talking about except mine is eight inches in diameter and is 48 inches long. You can look in my thread to see how I did it....not pretty, but very functional in my opinion. Besides, it all gets covered up by other stuff anyway.

The chimney draws very well, despite the fact that there is some soot build up on the front of my oven. On start up (before the flue is heated) some smoke will come out the front, but that's it. I've used the oven a heck of a lot...maybe fifty to sixty full cycles since I started cooking in mid 2012. The chimney is relatively heavy..forty pounds or so if I remember correctly. No issues with the construction of the chimney support.

Bill

Comment

Bill- Thanks very much for your comment. We used your pictures for most of our oven construction and couldn't have done it without them. We braced the walls with cement blocks on the outside of cal-sil boards like you did instead of having a metal brace built- we figured that your strategy would be good enough.

My chimney area is a bit different from yours, but it ended up drawing pretty well, with some smoke coming out the front when just lit. We finished the door on Monday and are still burning curing fires. I hope mine works as well as yours!

Comment

Glad you liked the reinforced block support idea. I wrestled with how to provide lateral support without adding cladding as well. I strongly considered a metal truss but ultimately thought of using the block and rebar with the insblock insulation as it seemed stronger. My thoughts were that with the oven being completely encased in reinforced block, even if I get a crack or two...nothing is going anywhere.

Have fun with it.

Bill

Comment

Working...
        X